Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Trout_Man11  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 11:04:23 AM(UTC)
Trout_Man11

Are there any decent public hunting areas in the areas surrounding La Crosse? I am hoping to do a little bit of deer hunting while in La Crosse between the long trips back home to hunt.
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 11:39:04 AM(UTC)
DanE

This is the best place to look in my experience. Can zoom to specific areas and find block of public land, and in some cases, land that is open though managed forest law. Looks like it is down at the moment, hopefully they will get it back up soon.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/...ers/openToPublicApp.html
MikeJuran  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 12:33:11 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

I have turkey hunted the public land off II at the top of the hill near Barre Mills. Its the experimental forest and I don't know the exact public hunting laws for deer there. The only bad thing is that if you are the 2nd car in the parking lot in the AM darkness, you have no idea where the other guy(s) with guns are at that point. A bit spooky if you know what i mean. Shotgun & turkey hunting is one thing, rifles and deer on public land is another. Spelled d-a-n-g-e-r. It is a pretty expansive place, so you should explore it first and look at a topo map first so you can see where the ridges and valleys and drop offs are. Steep drop offs in the dark are also a huge joy-sucker ....

From Barre Mills take M east to I, then left on I (east) to II, then left on II(north) up to top of hill and left into the forest area. There is a parking area at the end.

mj

Edited by user Monday, November 10, 2014 12:35:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fly Me A River
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 12:45:39 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

MikeJuran wrote:
I have turkey hunted the public land off II at the top of the hill near Barre Mills. Its the experimental forest and I don't know the exact public hunting laws for deer there. The only bad thing is that if you are the 2nd car in the parking lot in the AM darkness, you have no idea where the other guy(s) with guns are at that point. A bit spooky if you know what i mean. Shotgun & turkey hunting is one thing, rifles and deer on public land is another. Spelled d-a-n-g-e-r. It is a pretty expansive place, so you should explore it first and look at a topo map first so you can see where the ridges and valleys and drop offs are. Steep drop offs in the dark are also a huge joy-sucker ....

From Barre Mills take M east to I, then left on I (east) to II, then left on II(north) up to top of hill and left into the forest area. There is a parking area at the end.

mj

It's weird, in MN people know not to shoot when you can't identify your target. I've only deer hunted public land and have never been concerned about being shot...Razz Flapper Laugh
MikeJuran  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 12:55:07 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

kschaefer3 wrote:

It's weird, in MN people know not to shoot when you can't identify your target. I've only deer hunted public land and have never been concerned about being shot...Razz Flapper Laugh

Kyle, Wisconsinites do minimal identification, we just check if they have MN or IL plates....Flapper
Fly Me A River
Trout_Man11  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 1:11:59 PM(UTC)
Trout_Man11

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll try to find a bullet proof vest and Kevlar helmet from a military surplus store before heading out!
trapper  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 6:49:47 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Perhaps you may want to check out the many properties the WIDNR ownes along the many streams around here, as they are almost all are open to public hunting and fishing. Timber Coulee has at least five areas open to hunting and that is just one small example.
Get Reel
DanE  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:51:15 PM(UTC)
DanE

Looks like the link I posted is working. Public Land is shaded green and easy to see. The purple triangles are land that in under managed forest or tax law, where the owner allows the public to hunt in order to get a break on their taxes. It takes a little more research, but there can be some good land to hunt that not everyone does the homework to find.
Trout_Man11  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:40:02 AM(UTC)
Trout_Man11

When you have used the link in the past have you just contacted the land owner to figure out if others are hunting there, and where the land you can be on is specifically?
DanE  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:13:09 AM(UTC)
DanE

In some case when you click on the purple, it will show the portion that is open to the public. I have crossreferenced that with my plat book to figure out what is open. zThe newer Rockford Map Plat books show the normal view that shows all the owners on one page, and then a satellite view on the other, which makes it very helpful. I have also spoken to the landowner on both occasions that I have taken advantage of this, but you are not required to by law.

After you use it a bit, you will see the obvious value in finding trout water with stream bank access too.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:05:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified