Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kschaefer3  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:22:55 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

EddieRivard wrote:
kschaefer3 wrote:
I think I need to start swinging...

A little too much information there Kyle. That kind of talk might be more appropriate on another board.

UserPostedImage

Right, sorry. What was the name of that one you told me about?
DanE  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:52:55 AM(UTC)
DanE

At least Eddie was nice and clicked the looking for women box. Interesting how quick he had that site posted, almost like he's been there before...

Edited by user Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:53:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MikeJuran  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:24:46 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

DanE wrote:
At least Eddie was nice and clicked the looking for women box. Interesting how quick he had that site posted, almost like he's been there before...

dan - thanks for reading my mind .... i am sure he has it bookmarked ...Flapper
Fly Me A River
DanE  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:14:39 AM(UTC)
DanE

EddieRivard wrote:
When I know my hands stand a chance of getting wet in the extreme cold conditions of spring Steelheading on the Brule I trust the Patagonia R1 Gloves. It helps if you keep a little heat pack tucked in the palm. While they are a little more expensive they are still less than 50 bucks and you get to be like me. Who could ask for more from a glove. ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

On a serious note, how is the dexterity in these gloves? I hate wearing gloves for fishing, even ice fishing as I have not found one with the dexterity to even accomplish the simplest of tasks.
jerryf  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:56:14 PM(UTC)
jerryf

They look very sleek. I thought they were snowboarding gloves. I just wished that the cuffs are longer.
http://www.sport-lover.com/Fishing-Gloves-c16.html
UserPostedImage
minnphatts  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:01:27 AM(UTC)
minnphatts

Man

I've tried many different "cold weather" gloves and in my estimation it's an inexact science. I have neoprene ones, but haven't even used them in years. Almost all of them have one flaw or another.

My strategy is not too dissimilar than Kyle's, I often don't wear gloves while fishing in the winter (not even ice fishing). I carry a regular warm pair for when I'm not fishing and want to warm my hands up, but your tolerance will get better if you just go without. Occasionally put your hand back in a pocket to warm it up and keep fishing. It's much better fishing without gloves if you can stand it. I learned this approach from a well know ice fishing guide. I build my tolerance in late fall/early winter by not wearing gloves in everyday life (walking the dog, starting the car on cold mornings etc.)

Here's my go to glove when it's cold enough to necessitate wearing them. Generally they're called "Magic Gloves" and they're small and look like little kids cotton gloves. They're the last thing you'd think of for fishing but they work great. I often find them at Walgreens or sometimes WalMart for $1-$2 per pair. They look tiny, but stretch to provide a tight fitting glove that won't change the way you fish (like the big/bulky gloves that make fishing challenging). The idea behind these gloves is similar to a motocross rider's helmet visor "tear offs", (when your visor gets muddy you just tear off the layer and use the next one). You don't even bother to keep cotton/spandex Magic Gloves dry if you're in the heat of the battle or landing a fish. They are meant to be sort of disposable. I usually throw about 10-12 pairs in a pocket and when they get wet you just throw them in a different pocket, dry your hands on a small towel and replace with a dry set. If it's extra cold out double down and wear two layers. If you have big hands you may have to seek out the larger adult ones which are harder to find. Eventually hooks will get stuck in the fingers and tear them up and you'll have to replace them, but they only cost a buck or two so who cares.

http://www.amazon.com/Ma...p;keywords=magic+mittens

This approach probably isn't for everyone, but it's served me well for years after being disappointed with all the fancy gloves marketed as "cold weather" gloves.
<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
EddieRivard  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:20:59 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have used gloves similar to the magic gloves. I believe I purchased these at Menards. I do a lot of work outside in the cold and they are nice to have around.

UserPostedImage

ThumpUp
DanE  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:15:43 PM(UTC)
DanE

After getting my $25 off any purchase over $50 coupon in the mail, I stopped at Orvis in Madison and picked these up. It is the 1st pair of cold weather fishing gloves that I have ever been optimistic about both warmth and dexterity. Will likely try them ice fishing before they get out streamside.

http://www.orvis.com/p/s...ll-fingerless-glove/8l07

Edited by user Monday, December 22, 2014 9:36:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DanE  
#19 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2014 9:40:40 AM(UTC)
DanE

Tried the Orvis gloves out yesterday while ice fishing. Temps were in the mid 30's with a decent breeze blowing. Hands got a bit chilly at the end of the day, but would have been frozen if barehanded. Next time I may try a disposable hand warmer on strategically placed on the back of the hand to see if that helps even more. Being a guy that NEEDS dexterity when wearing gloves, these performed well with the 3 open fingertips. They are the best combination for dexterity and warmth that I have found yet. Was nice not having to take gloves on and off all the time to rebait a hook, take fish off, etc. Definitely worth the $30 price tag.

Edited by user Monday, December 22, 2014 9:43:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DanE  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 12:33:42 PM(UTC)
DanE

Follow up review. Have used the Orvis gloves below multiple times ice fishing and twice fly fishing, most recently this weekend. These are the 1st gloves I have been able to fish in consistently without removing. Definitely a good buy if you are like me and have a hard time fishing in gloves. They are somewhat thin, so they keep your hands just warm enough. After about a dozen outings, the grippies are starting to come off, but that is the only downside I have found with them.

UserPostedImage