Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2015 11:14:06 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I've been unhappy with the el-cheapo vise that came with the fly tying kit I bought last fall. It gets the job done, but it's poorly made and a struggle to adjust properly. Tonight the stars aligned (a free gift card and a store discount) so I picked this Orvis EZ Rotary Vice:

UserPostedImage

It's pretty a pretty simple vise. A knob sets the gap for the hook. The rotary feature is nice making it easy to quickly check out all sides of the fly while working on it. It breaks down into a text book sized box for travel/storage.

Looking forward to giving it a go this weekend.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
GreatPyrs  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2015 7:50:27 AM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Thanks for the photo Bill, between that and our Wintry mix I now have Vice Envy!Drool ,

Happy New Year - Philip
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:09:42 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

GreatPyrs wrote:
Thanks for the photo Bill, between that and our Wintry mix I now have Vice Envy!Drool ,

Happy New Year - Philip

Tying flies is a nice diversion in the winter. I really wanted to buy the Peak Rotary vise, but it was out of stock, and the EZ was about half the price. The Renzetti and Peak vises are pretty slick, but expensive. I like the simplicity and compact size of the EZ also.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Jared  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 12:42:38 PM(UTC)
Jared

Done any tying on the new vise yet Bill? Curious what you think of it, I'm in the market for a new one too. Is the base heavy enough to work with on its own?
"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 2:21:35 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Jared wrote:
Done any tying on the new vise yet Bill? Curious what you think of it, I'm in the market for a new one too. Is the base heavy enough to work with on its own?

I've put it through it's paces and while it's an improvement over my old vise, it does have it's flaws.

The base is heavy enough, but I failed to notice when I bought it that the EZ is several inches shorter in height. As a result, I had to put together a little wooden platform to raise it up high enough on my bench to avoid having to hunch over. A longer stem would solve this problem. I may ask a machinist friend to cut and bend me up a new taller one.

The shaft (the part that allows it to spin) is looser than the display model I looked at in the store. While not a big deal, it does make for unwanted movement in the vice head while tying, and it gives it a flimsy feel. Cranking down the head locking screw stops the movement, but you have to loosen it to get the spin feature back.

Other than that, it works pretty good. I was able to tie Buggers up to a size 4 hook without problems. I don't think I can recommend it to anyone who will be doing a lot of tying though. It's smaller size would be perfect for kids, or if you're looking for a portable/travel vise. Make sure you check the fit of the shaft before you buy one.

As my fly tying acumen increases, I'll probably end up buying the Renzetti or Peak at some point in the future. The deal I got on the EZ was too good to pass up.

-Bill
dave j  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 6:34:01 PM(UTC)
dave j

Bill, I have been tying on a Renzetti traveler for over 15 years, if you get one you will like it. I also did not like the low profile of the base so I got a vise extension table clamp from Feather- Craft that solves that problem.
OHMatt  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 8:02:27 PM(UTC)
OHMatt

those Orvis coupons are wonderful aren't they? I broke down picked up a Peak vice when the jaws of my Thompson A broke. I don't use rotary much except to check my work, but clamping the hook is soo easy.
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:14:36 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Jared wrote:

After spending the winter months using the Orvis EZ Rotary vice, I can't recommend it. The clamping mechanism has worn and it's difficult to keep the hook solidly in the jaws without really twisting hard on the knob. The shaft on the rotary part too has come loose, giving it a sloppy feel.

I should've sprung for a higher quality (and more expensive) vice, but I didn't pay much at all for this one, so I don't feel I'm out too much. Planning on picking up a Peak or a Renzetti next winter.

-Bill
DanE  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:17:41 AM(UTC)
DanE

Bill, based on Kyle's advice, the wife got me a Renzetti Traveler for my birthday. It is awesome, would definitely recommend it. Don't know how I got by with my crappy sunrise vise for so long. The cam locking action is waaaaay better at locking the hook than the screw action like your orvis.
OHMatt  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:22:00 AM(UTC)
OHMatt

William Schlafer wrote:
Jared wrote:

After spending the winter months using the Orvis EZ Rotary vice, I can't recommend it. The clamping mechanism has worn and it's difficult to keep the hook solidly in the jaws without really twisting hard on the knob. The shaft on the rotary part too has come loose, giving it a sloppy feel.

I should've sprung for a higher quality (and more expensive) vice, but I didn't pay much at all for this one, so I don't feel I'm out too much. Planning on picking up a Peak or a Renzetti next winter.

-Bill

Bill, as mentioned above I have the Peak and I love it.

My Griffin Superior 1A held the hooks well but the two screw locking mechanism (like the Orvis) took a while to mount them. I usually needed to adjust both screws on each hook change. It did well enough though and had a very long service life before one of the jaws snapped. I don't tie a lot of flies so didn't replace it earlier, but now had the excuse to buy a better one.

When I started my research, the boards were all recommending either the Danvice or the Renzetti Traveler. A friend who guides in Arkansas said the Danvice is what he was using and I didn't need to spend more. A couple years later he bought a Renzetti Traveler.

This vice shootout http://www.flyfishohio.c...Tying_Vise_Shoot-Out.htm was a big help with my shopping.

I knew I wanted a plate and not a clamp model. The playing field quickly dwindled to the Peak and the Renzetti. I played with both in stores and found that Peak was easier/quicker for me to mount a hook with its rear nut and lever mechanism. The Renzetti's front screw and lever seemed too similar to my Griffin which was a sore spot. I'm certain in practice the Renzetti is much much better than the Griffin; however the locking mechanism design and the $20 cost difference won the Peak my purchase.

- Matt -

Edited by user Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:25:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified