Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Josey Wales  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:28:43 AM(UTC)
Josey Wales

I picked up a Montana Mongoose this past winter because my Regal jaws are not big enough to hold large hooks - I have the midge jaws. So far I have tied large musky flies and size 20 trout flies on the Mongoose and it has worked well for me. I was looking for a vise that had this type of range that was not expensive and so far I am happy. I still like how the jaws on the Regal work, so simple, love it, but the Montana Mongoose is a good vise, and it comes with a nice travel case too.

I got it here:

http://www.flyfishfood.c...ongoose-vise-review.html

Any questions PM me.
gillh2o  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2015 7:27:45 AM(UTC)
gillh2o

Just looking through the site this A.M. (after two sunny fruitless days on Gordon creek). I purchased an Anvil Atlas vise about 4-5 years ago and highly recommended it. Is is a very industrial strength rotary vise that comes with a heavy pedestal base and clamp at no extra charge. You can tie from 2/0 down to 28 maybe 32 without needing extra jaws. This vise sells around the $150 and the non rotary Apex sells for around $100. Check out their web site and they are manufactured by Wolff industries in Indiana. I have attended a winter fly tying class for the past 4 years by Mike Jacobs and many members use both vises. I thought about the Peak vise in the same price point but it did not come with a pedestal base and clamp and no need for extra jaws!
William Schlafer  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:29:08 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Update:

Last night, my Orvis EZ Rotary Vise quite literally fell apart while using it. Something internal to the rotating part failed and the thing came apart in my hands. I tried putting it back together, but it isn't fixable. The knob that was supposed to hold the shaft stationary would not stay tight anymore. The base is also too light making tying larger flies difficult.

So, later this afternoon I'll be off to the Fly Fishers Shop in West Allis to buy either the Peak Rotary or the Renzetti Traveler vise.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"You only pay for quality once." Seems like I have to keep re-learning this lesson over and over again.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
DanE  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 1:27:49 PM(UTC)
DanE

Sorry to hear that Bill. I can vouch for the Renzetti. Based on Kschaefer's advice that is what I got last winter. Works as great for both size 20 midges and size 2 streamers, and everything in between.
EddieRivard  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 1:34:02 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've heard Orvis stands behind their products. Is it possible that you could return the POS Vise for cash back or store credit. They might even give you a new one which you could sell to some unsuspecting rube. Just a thought.
William Schlafer  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 6:18:59 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

EddieRivard wrote:
I've heard Orvis stands behind their products. Is it possible that you could return the POS Vise for cash back or store credit. They might even give you a new one which you could sell to some unsuspecting rube. Just a thought.

It's a Orvis vise, but I got it at Cabelas. They have a pretty good return policy too. Although I've had it for a year, I still might take it back and see what they say (if I can find the receipt). I found a broken rubber O ring on the floor that must have fell out of the thing when I took it apart. I may see if I can find a replacement and try to fix it.

I picked up the Renzetti Traveler last night along with a big bag of tying supplies. Even got a free Simms hat out of the deal. Tied my first fly with it last night and it is a big improvement over what I had. A very solidly built and designed vise.

If you're in the Milwaukee area (or passing thru) I highly recommend The Fly Fishers store on Greenfield Avenue in West Allis. Very well stocked with fly tying and fly fishing gear, and knowledgeable and friendly staff.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
kschaefer3  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:12:40 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

William Schlafer wrote:
If you're in the Milwaukee area (or passing thru) I highly recommend The Fly Fishers store on Greenfield Avenue in West Allis. Very well stocked with fly tying and fly fishing gear, and knowledgeable and friendly staff.

-Bill

Glad you were able to get a new vise and like it so far!

X2 on The Fly Fishers. Like Bill said, well stocked with a great staff!
William Schlafer  
#18 Posted : Saturday, October 31, 2015 9:44:53 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

The early results are in. The Renzetti is an awesome fly tying vise!

Those of you who are just starting out with fly tying, don't skip and try to save money on cheap stuff. Get a good vise right off the bat, buy quality tying materials, and you'll be happier in the long run.

-Bill

Edited by user Sunday, November 1, 2015 7:48:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!