Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanE  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:08:38 PM(UTC)
DanE

Just traded our timeshare for one in Steamboat Springs for Mid-August. If things go according to plan, we will be taking a family vacation and my son and I will hopefully get at least 1 full day, along with some morning/evening sessions. If things don't go according to plan, I will be looking for 3 or 4 guys to come along and it will be a guys fishing trip. Anyone ever fish here and have any tips for some smaller less pressured water? I did a little research, so I have the basics, just curious if anyone has the inside scoop.
NE IA Drifter  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:05:26 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

I did a brief excursion in the flat tops this summer - a great place for bringing your son. The stream we hit up was a short walk from the trailhead and had more brookies than you could catch. The yampa is supposed to be great as well although I don't know enough about it. Shoot me a pm if you want deets on the flat tops stream I was at.
dave j  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 4:15:06 AM(UTC)
dave j

I fished one day there in October of 2013. Real good access right in town, a bike path runs the whole way. they have done a lot of stream improvement there. I caught a 17in. Brook trout which is my personal best. Another good area is below Stagecoach dam but it was closed off when I was there.
DanE  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:01:14 AM(UTC)
DanE

NE IA Drifter wrote:
I did a brief excursion in the flat tops this summer - a great place for bringing your son. The stream we hit up was a short walk from the trailhead and had more brookies than you could catch. The yampa is supposed to be great as well although I don't know enough about it. Shoot me a pm if you want deets on the flat tops stream I was at.

How far are the flat tops from Steamboat? I may take you up on the offer! Someplace like that may be a family hike with some fishing mixed in.
DanE  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:02:15 AM(UTC)
DanE

dave j wrote:
I fished one day there in October of 2013. Real good access right in town, a bike path runs the whole way. they have done a lot of stream improvement there. I caught a 17in. Brook trout which is my personal best. Another good area is below Stagecoach dam but it was closed off when I was there.

I am guessing it wasn't too busy in October, We may try that some night after dinner.
DanE  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:22:51 AM(UTC)
DanE

Just over a month out, anybody else have any nuggets of information for me? Hoping to get a guide for at least a half day, but not sure that will be in the budget.
Kev  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:55:03 AM(UTC)
Kev

Man

Take good notes Dan, 😀. Steamboat is on my list of places to go. It looks awesome. We were on our way in January for a quick stop on the way home and got winter stormed out.
You can study hard, get straight As, go to an ivy league school, become a doctor, a physicist, a billionaire investor… You can work out, run triathlons, be an olympian, have six pack abs… BUT if you don’t use your brains and your body to become a better fly fisher, none of that other junk matters. Snap It!
DanE  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:53:57 AM(UTC)
DanE

Kev wrote:
Take good notes Dan, 😀. Steamboat is on my list of places to go. It looks awesome. We were on our way in January for a quick stop on the way home and got winter stormed out.

Gonna be a family vacation, so not sure how much fishing we will get in. Hoping for at least a 1/2 day of just fishing, and then maybe some evenings in town and also some here and there fishing when we are hiking.
turbomike15  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 11:40:33 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

Dan,
I just got back from the Deckers Canyon area on the S. Platte. Not really anywhere close to where you'll be, but the general consensus is ALL water in CO is HIGH right now. Plan to nymph with heavy bugs. We go into some nice (FAT) browns and bows on golden stones. By August the water might be down enough to get some dry action but who knows...

Hope this helps!
MR
DanE  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 12:56:33 PM(UTC)
DanE

turbomike15 wrote:
Dan,
I just got back from the Deckers Canyon area on the S. Platte. Not really anywhere close to where you'll be, but the general consensus is ALL water in CO is HIGH right now. Plan to nymph with heavy bugs. We go into some nice (FAT) browns and bows on golden stones. By August the water might be down enough to get some dry action but who knows...

Hope this helps!
MR

Nice, glad you caught some! I heard that area got slammed hard. I fished up in Cheesman last year, beautiful area.