Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Steamboat Springs, CO - Any tips for fishing this area? Options
GreatPyrs
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2015 8:23:49 PM

Good to hear some Colorado action .Pretty much grew up climbing and fishing that South Platte area over into Badger Basin. It's great to have snowpack, but the downside can be some pretty serious run off for some time.

For Steamboat, check out Elk River, Encampment over the pass to the North, and for the Flat Tops the headwaters of the White R]river hold (or did) of tasty Mountain WhitefishFlapper

A lot of the Forest Service roads that drop into the Colorado river hold some beautiful brookies. Have fun!

Cheers!
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
turbomike15
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2015 8:00:00 PM

GreatPyrs wrote:
Good to hear some Colorado action .Pretty much grew up climbing and fishing that South Platte area over into Badger Basin. It's great to have snowpack, but the downside can be some pretty serious run off for some time.

For Steamboat, check out Elk River, Encampment over the pass to the North, and for the Flat Tops the headwaters of the White R]river hold (or did) of tasty Mountain WhitefishFlapper

A lot of the Forest Service roads that drop into the Colorado river hold some beautiful brookies. Have fun!

Cheers!

We were climbing at Turkey Rocks!
GreatPyrs
#13 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 3:21:09 AM

Most awesome Mike. Last I was there the roads were closed off after the Hayman Fires. With 4 Wheel drive you can go past turkey Rocks over to Big Rock Candy, which sits right on the South Platte river above the Cheeseman Canyon dam. Some of the longest trad climbs in the country, and trout to boot. I hope the are has recovered a good bit, I see myself being out that way again for good come the end of working days. I know the mountain lions are back, but now hopefully the bears and trout too!

Philip
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
SlobHunter
#14 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 4:30:13 AM

I go to steamboat for two weeks every summer, be sure to look at the elk river, some amazing fishing and everyone overlooks it.