Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Montana Options
ZP6
#1 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 2:23:04 AM

My brother and i are headed out to Montana sometime this summer. For those of you who have been out there, when would you suggest going? Early June? Later in July or August? I'm just starting to do some research so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
MN Mountain Man
#2 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 2:55:28 AM

Depends on what your looking for. Low elevation lakes-may through june, high elevation-july through september, rivers late june (maybe not depending on runoff) through september. July-August are busy like a motherfucher.

I lived there for a while and loved fishing in September on the rivers! Any other ?'s ask away.
AKinMN
#3 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 12:43:41 PM

August = hoppers = big fish crushing big dries.
Josey Wales
#4 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 6:26:23 PM

Unless you are trying to target a specific hatch on a specific river, I would suggest later in the summer, like end of July - September. I realize this is a wide time frame, but end of July - September would be good on most rivers. By this time the rivers should be past runoff, there will be some mayfly activity (depending on exact time and river), and the terrestrials will be on the menu.

For more specific ideas or info PM me.
Kev
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 7:42:44 PM

I enjoy September in Montana for reduced crowds, lower temps and water levels.
I have been burned by late in season runoffs a couple of times and try to take that out of equation if possible
You can study hard, get straight As, go to an ivy league school, become a doctor, a physicist, a billionaire investor… You can work out, run triathlons, be an olympian, have six pack abs… BUT if you don’t use your brains and your body to become a better fly fisher, none of that other junk matters. Snap It!
kschaefer3
#6 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 7:54:46 PM

Kev wrote:
I have been burned by late in season runoffs a couple of times and try to take that out of equation if possible

I went on July 4th last year and that was a touch early. Most streams were still a bit up from runoff and the mountain streams were still pretty high and cold as well.
ZP6
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:24:52 AM

Thanks for the pointers everyone. I think we will try to go later in the season after reading some of your thoughts. What weight rods should you be taking out there?
trapper
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:49:03 AM

ZP6 wrote:
Thanks for the pointers everyone. I think we will try to go later in the season after reading some of your thoughts. What weight rods should you be taking out there?

Thats an easy question to answer: All you own
Stop at The Fly Fishers in Milwaukee and ask Pat or Jerod, great guysThumpUp
If you have not been to their shop, you are missing out on a whole lot of information.
Get Reel

ZP6
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:57:27 AM

trapper wrote:
ZP6 wrote:

Thats an easy question to answer: All you own
Stop at The Fly Fishers in Milwaukee and ask Pat or Jerod, great guysThumpUp
If you have not been to their shop, you are missing out on a whole lot of information.

I actually was in there today, picking up some flies and shooting the breeze. Agreed, both are great guys and very helpful.
AKinMN
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 3:00:35 AM

6 wt