Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dave j  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 8:04:31 PM(UTC)
dave j

I usualy go to West Yellowstone in October to fish the Baetis on the Madison and Firehole.In 2013 I took my son and grandsons out there and we stayed at Driftwaters resort below Quake Lake on the Madison in the middle of July. We were only two or three miles from Raynold's pass and 3$ bridge. We fished past dark each evening to caddis and Pink Lady mayfly spinner falls. Caught rainbows and browns to 22in. Also close to the area between the lakes and the park itself. Craig Mathews from Blue Ribbon flies is going to be the featured speaker at the Badger Fly Fishers spring opener in Madison on February 14. He would have a wealth of information for you on the area and the best time to come.
jfinn  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 11:01:35 AM(UTC)
jfinn

I'm just in the beginning stages of planning my first trip West for Fly fishing. My 30th b-day present from the wife. The newest Orvis Flyfishing podcast has a guide from Montana and he talks about the benefits of the different times of the year. I'm looking at Aug-Sep window myself. I'm not overly concerned about any specific hatch and I'm okay if I have to throw streamers and nymphs. I'm getting a guide for 1 day does anyone have any suggestions the choices are very abundant.
Zugbug  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:13:35 PM(UTC)
Zugbug

jfinn wrote:
I'm just in the beginning stages of planning my first trip West for Fly fishing. My 30th b-day present from the wife. The newest Orvis Flyfishing podcast has a guide from Montana and he talks about the benefits of the different times of the year. I'm looking at Aug-Sep window myself. I'm not overly concerned about any specific hatch and I'm okay if I have to throw streamers and nymphs. I'm getting a guide for 1 day does anyone have any suggestions the choices are very abundant.

What part of Montana are you considering? I assume that you're talking about August/September 2016.
jfinn  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:55:18 PM(UTC)
jfinn

I haven't decided yet if I do the Yellowstone area or go elsewhere. I wouldn't be against some Pike fishing while I was out there. Yes, 2016
Zugbug  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:04:13 PM(UTC)
Zugbug

jfinn wrote:
I haven't decided yet if I do the Yellowstone area or go elsewhere. I wouldn't be against some Pike fishing while I was out there. Yes, 2016

If you're interested in the Livingston area and the northern part of Yellowstone Park, one possibility would be Matthew Long, who is based in Livingston. I've never fished with him, but I know several people who have. He has an excellent reputation. That being said, there are several other guiding operations in that area, and other competent guides.
George  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 1:04:52 PM(UTC)
George

I'm considering a trip out there too but I know this for sure - the first half of June is still winter and snowmelt. I wouldn't go until the last week of June or later to ensure that the water levels are down. Snowpack is pretty good out there this season. Call the local fly shops and ask. Lesser known rivers might be good to go depending on location such as the Smith, Rock, and Big Hole. Gallatin and Madison are big water in June while they are moving water and filling reservoirs.

Hope this helps.