Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 1:44:12 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
As several of you know, I've been planning a trip to the Nipigon River for early June. I've come to accept the fact that a canoe will be absolutely necessary. Do any of you have any recommendations for a durable canoe that's also fairly easy to portage? I have a fair amount of paddling experience and I'll shoot the rapids at Glen Park during flash floods, so I'm not too concerned with needing a wide body. Also, for anyone open to a trade, I have a one person kayak I'd would be willing to offer in addition to cash

Edited by user Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:50:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Sponsor
AKinMN  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:09:44 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
That river could be dangerous in a canoe in June. That being said, a plastic Old Town is the way too go.
DanE  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:50:39 PM(UTC)
DanE

AKinMN wrote:
That river could be dangerous in a canoe in June. That being said, a plastic Old Town is the way too go.

I agree with AKinMN. We crossed over it on Fathers Day last year (mid-june) and it was raging and high! I personally would not have wanted to been on it in anything less than my 17 ft Lund.
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:32:24 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

DanE wrote:
AKinMN wrote:

I agree with AKinMN. We crossed over it on Fathers Day last year (mid-june) and it was raging and high! I personally would not have wanted to been on it in anything less than my 17 ft Lund.

It will likely be high, but I'm hoping navigable. Last years late melt elevated flows into June when coupled with heavy rains. There are lots of other systems I want to explore too.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
DanE  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2015 12:14:14 PM(UTC)
DanE

NBrevitz wrote:
DanE wrote:
AKinMN wrote:

It will likely be high, but I'm hoping navigable. Last years late melt elevated flows into June when coupled with heavy rains. There are lots of other systems I want to explore too.

Yeah, it's totally a year by year thing. If you can be flexible in your plan, you should be able to hit it decent. Other than the raging torrent, I was drooling to fish it.
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2015 1:58:48 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

DanE wrote:
NBrevitz wrote:
DanE wrote:
AKinMN wrote:

Yeah, it's totally a year by year thing. If you can be flexible in your plan, you should be able to hit it decent. Other than the raging torrent, I was drooling to fish it.

Exactly. Record class fish and Chrome and Lakers as well. Thanks for the help guys