Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeJuran  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:06:51 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

Customer service is something I highly value these days. Not many places go above and beyond. And I know eddie is gonna give me shit for another 'Hardy Commercial', but thought you'all would appreciate this.

Last summer was out on stream and in a particular cast to a 30" trout (errr, maybe it was 12") my 4 piece Hardy Zenith came apart at one of the joints. Not wanting to miss a chance at the 12"er, i quickly shoved the two back together, but unfortunately was slightly misaligned and the 'dot' didn't match up. This has never been a problem before, just pull it apart and realign, only it would not pull apart. Struggled mightily in the stream to seperate to no avail. Several curse words and I trudged back to the truck for my backup rod.

c-mac and trapper happened to come over to the house that day and trapper had a trick up his sleeve for a two-man cross handed pull to get the thing apart. No go. She was stuck real good.

Internet research, heat, cold, rubber gloves ... nothing worked. The last trick available was to let it sit out in -3 degree overnight and try to pull it apart, theory being shrinkage from extreme cold would allow them to separate more easily. Nope. And to make matters worse, my hand slipped and damaged the first big eyelet, so now I have a loose prong on the eyelet.

Called customer service in Spirit Lake IA. Explained short version of above here is exact quote:

"Just send it to us, if we cant get it apart, we will just replace it and send you a new one". Period. End of story.

I am shipping the rod off today and they need to follow through, but I am confident they will do what they say. A friend of mine also bought same rod and had tip break off ... no questions asked, replaced.

THAT is customer service and standing behind the product they sell.

mj
Fly Me A River
Sponsor
EddieRivard  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:18:41 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
MikeJuran wrote:
And I know eddie is gonna give me shit for another 'Hardy Commercial', but thought you'all would appreciate this.

Yes Mike you were right for once I am going to give you shit. But I will wait until I can give it to you in person because I am not sending this through the mail.

UserPostedImage

Blink
MikeJuran  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:21:11 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

EddieRivard wrote:
MikeJuran wrote:
And I know eddie is gonna give me shit for another 'Hardy Commercial', but thought you'all would appreciate this.

Yes Mike you were right for once I am going to give you shit. But I will wait until I can give it to you in person because I am not sending this through the mail.

Blink

Wow ....Blink Blink
Fly Me A River
MikeJuran  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:24:34 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

MikeJuran wrote:
EddieRivard wrote:
MikeJuran wrote:

BTW, good choice on not mailing it .... hazardous materials ..... and ... GO WASH YOUR HANDS
Fly Me A River
Cmac  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:38:23 AM(UTC)
Cmac

X2 Mike on the customer service.......my business is all about relationships and service...... I worried slightly, some years ago plopping down big bucks for my Sage rod. It's never failed, but that lifetime warranty is comforting.
Eddie...I worry about you man !!!
caster  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:19:42 AM(UTC)
caster

mike - good to know. saving money for a proaxis but have heard rumors of hardy warranties going to shit since hardy switched hands.

also, did you try wd-40? same thing happened to me last summer. thought I was going to break the rod trying to pull it apart. so I hit it with wd-40, rested the sections so the 40 would settle down into the ferrule, and in 10 minutes, came right apart!

MikeJuran  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:44:38 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

caster wrote:
mike - good to know. saving money for a proaxis but have heard rumors of hardy warranties going to shit since hardy switched hands.

also, did you try wd-40? same thing happened to me last summer. thought I was going to break the rod trying to pull it apart. so I hit it with wd-40, rested the sections so the 40 would settle down into the ferrule, and in 10 minutes, came right apart!

Yep tried that....I think when it came apart and got wet in stream it pick up dirt particles.... Guessing that water dirt combo dried and kinda cemented things together .... I wonder too if the sintrix material contributes to the stuckness.... Guy at hardy service said it hasn't been a common problem.....
Fly Me A River
FryinPanDan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:07:32 PM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

Im pretty sure that is a DTA first... posting a photo of poop ThumpUp

What's this about ferrets then?
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
MikeJuran  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:55:44 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

FryinPanDan wrote:
Im pretty sure that is a DTA first... posting a photo of poop ThumpUp

What's this about ferrets then?

DTA has gone to shit ....

UserPostedImage
Fly Me A River
Cmac  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:17:16 AM(UTC)
Cmac

damn!!!! see what you started Eddie ????