Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dullyouth  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:39:05 AM(UTC)
Dullyouth

Yuo guys usually wax your ferrules?
Cmac  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:51:00 AM(UTC)
Cmac

Interesting question Dully....my St. Croix rod came with a plastic container of wax that fit right into the top of the rod tube, my Sage did not, nor my Echo......have never used the wax....look at it occasionally, think about it, but never pull the trigger....so far rod sections are behaving themselves.
MikeJuran  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 11:25:40 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

Dullyouth wrote:

i didn't previously but I do now ...not wax, just human oil on my fingers from behind my ear .... I did this with 3 other fly rods I own after the Hardy incident and haven't had a stuck ferrule issue ..... but then again, this summer with the Hardy was the first time it ever got stuck ....

mj
Fly Me A River
caster  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:19:10 PM(UTC)
caster

yep!
kschaefer3  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:25:25 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

MikeJuran wrote:
Dullyouth wrote:

i didn't previously but I do now ...not wax, just human oil on my fingers from behind my ear .... I did this with 3 other fly rods I own after the Hardy incident and haven't had a stuck ferrule issue ..... but then again, this summer with the Hardy was the first time it ever got stuck ....

mj

Is human oil supposed to work as well as wax?
Kev  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:28:02 PM(UTC)
Kev

Man

Dullyouth wrote:

If I am not wrong the main reason to "wax" is to allow sections to seat together deeper and prevent sections coming apart when casting. (according to instructions in my new H2)

Makes sense that it would also help sections come apart I suppose

Kev
You can study hard, get straight As, go to an ivy league school, become a doctor, a physicist, a billionaire investor… You can work out, run triathlons, be an olympian, have six pack abs… BUT if you don’t use your brains and your body to become a better fly fisher, none of that other junk matters. Snap It!
MikeJuran  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:21:49 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

kschaefer3 wrote:
MikeJuran wrote:
Dullyouth wrote:

mj

Is human oil supposed to work as well as wax?

when I was researching how to get stuck ferrules apart, there were several postings from guys saying to simply used human oils ... so I tried it and so far so good ... when I am assembling the rod, i simply do the back of ear oil on my fingers with each ferrule .... so far it works .... but one season is not a valid scientific test ....
Fly Me A River
redneckdan  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 11:32:53 AM(UTC)
redneckdan

Man

Cool it down and then wrap your hand around the female portion of the ferrule. Hold it for a minute or so and then try putting apart. Just cooling the joint will not usually do it. You need to create a temperature delta between the mating pieces.

Just like pressing bearings, cool the bearing and heat the housing.
mjager0  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 1:55:53 PM(UTC)
mjager0

Man

redneckdan wrote:
Cool it down and then wrap your hand around the female portion of the ferrule. Hold it for a minute or so and then try putting apart. Just cooling the joint will not usually do it. You need to create a temperature delta between the mating pieces.

/\This guy knows whats up/\.
You want the female end hotter than the male end. I usually wrap my fingers tightly around the female end right at the joint and poor cold water on the male end close to the joint, than grab and pull immediately.
I wax my rods every once and a while when I'm at home and think of it, it seems to help a little.
- Matt
Instagram
MikeJuran  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 2:06:05 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

redneckdan wrote:

thanks .... tried that as well ..... this was the last tip i found on the internet and initially I did it wrong (heated and cooled wrong ends)..... but I had it outside (-4) and heated female end with my hand and still stuck .... didn't want to break it (bad enough I dinged/loosened an eyelet).....hardy offered free repair or replacement, so I will let them break it and send new one!

mj
Fly Me A River