Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kschaefer3  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 11:30:35 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I'm thinking about getting a 4 wt this year (read: I'll almost certainly get a 4 wt this year). I'm thinking 8-8.5 ft. It will be a dry fly rod almost exclusively. My casting stroke is somewhat aggressive, so I tend to favor a med fast-fast action rod, but still want a soft tip for protecting tippet.

I am looking for as many suggestions as you can lay on me (because I like information and the board has been dead lately). Because of this, let's assume money is not a factor, I don't care what type of material it is made from and I don't care where the rod is made or who made it.

Given the above, what rod would you get? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Sponsor
scottybs  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 11:39:27 AM(UTC)
scottybs

Winston GVX all day… a few to be found for cheap out there still
MikeJuran  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 12:02:39 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

for what its worth, in Colorado with guide's rod, threw an Orvis Helios 4 wt ... it was absolute gem to cast ... he used it strictly for drys .... and we were tossing #18-#22 size rs2 and comparadun bwo ....The price tag however also reflects the price of gem.
Fly Me A River
mjager0  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 12:05:42 PM(UTC)
mjager0

Man

http://www.scottflyrod.com/catalog/details/f2

More $ than I would want to spend on a rod only for drys (I like fishing streamers). But I've always been interested in a short fiberglass 3/4wt for fishing those real tight spots.
- Matt
Instagram
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 12:45:21 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
kschaefer3 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a 4 wt this year (read: I'll almost certainly get a 4 wt this year). I'm thinking 8-8.5 ft. It will be a dry fly rod almost exclusively. My casting stroke is somewhat aggressive, so I tend to favor a med fast-fast action rod, but still want a soft tip for protecting tippet.

I am looking for as many suggestions as you can lay on me (because I like information and the board has been dead lately). Because of this, let's assume money is not a factor, I don't care what type of material it is made from and I don't care where the rod is made or who made it.

Given the above, what rod would you get? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

I've been thinking about a new 4WT for this year myself. Been picking up and shaking a lot of rods in the last 5 months, and honestly, I can't tell the difference between the $1000 rod and the $100 ones. It's kinda like kicking tires at the auto shop. Until you put them on your car, you don't know if they'll be an improvement or not, and then it's too late.

The penny pincher in me says go cheap. And my history of repeatedly breaking my Echo Carbon doesn't help with the decision. I would like to find a fly shop that might loan (or rent) me a high end rod, just to satisfy the itch and help decided if my game is worth the extra expense.

I did handle a Flying Pig Driftless rod a couple seasons ago that appeared to be the perfect answer my small stream antics. Reasonably priced too. However, I've never seen another one on the shelf, and the company website seems to be perpetually out of stock.

I do like the look and feel of the Sage line of fly rods. Their mid-priced models seem to fit the bill nicely. Even the Cabelas brand rods have been getting nice reviews.

Too many choices. Not enough money or time. Smile

I'll probably just stick with the Echo Carbon until it breaks again. That would be a good excuse to splurge on a new one.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Pete  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 1:18:14 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'll encourage you to take a look at Wright and McGill Generation II S Curve rods. They make an 8 and a half foot 4 weight in a medium fast action. I'd only ever used fast action until I got their 2 weight last year for use on some narrow brook trout streams. Casting a slower action rod (medium in this case) was a revelation; I couldn't believe how softly a dry/terrestrial could be dropped on the water. As you are searching for a dry fly rod, something slower than fast action is indicated. And the nice thing about W & M rods is that you'll have money left over for when you want to add to your arsenal again: a shorter 4 weight, an even slower action, a spare spool and a different line, whatever. The cupboard won't be bare when it's time to buy more equipment.
Jimbern  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 1:35:08 PM(UTC)
Jimbern

Man

I'll throw one in that may be a little off the mainstream:

The Temple Fork (Lefty Kreh) BVK 8.5 ft. 4wt.

http://www.tforods.com/f...series.html#.VOJSqHZWQfo

I built a couple for friends and I fish mine about 80% of the time in the Driftless.

Very light overall. This one is all about presentation. Stock reel seat hardware is a cool, gun-metal grey with green graphite weave insert. Very reasonable price point.
flyfisher Z  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 1:49:56 PM(UTC)
flyfisher Z

Have you thought about Tenkara?
AKinMN  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 2:05:30 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have fished a Sage Flight 8.5 4 wt for 6 or 7 years and love it. I think a 4 wt is the perfect driftless rod, as it can do it all. It's great for dries from 22 trico spinners up to big, foamy hoppers. It also cast a tandem nymph rig with shot and a bobber well. I am also able to cast some surprisingly large, smallie size streamers. With $ as no object, Sage One. With $ as a consideration, Sage Response.
trapper  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 2:40:51 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
#1.Put yourself on a Busch Light beer diet(or worse), save your pennies and dimes, and buy yourself another Sage One?

#2. Save and buy a cheaper rod and use "excess" cash for more trips fishing?

#3. Get out the plastic and spend BIG time, buy now,pay later?

#4. A happy medium of all three?
Get Reel