Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
OMG Options
LenH
#1 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 12:59:12 PM

GreatPyrs
#2 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 5:04:22 PM

That is awesome to see the DNR being proactive around next season. Thanks to all the DTA folks who have communicated with the fishery folks.Lots of good stuff for sure.....
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
rschmidt
#3 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 5:16:21 PM

Not so sure I like some of the changes. No decent fish can be kept form the Kinni <12" only, not a fan. Also I am mildly colorblind so the new maps mean nothing to me with the color selections.

R
mjager0
#4 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 5:26:05 PM

yeah I noticed the same for BEC, only <12", which I don't mind too much as I have never taken a fish home from of BEC, but I wouldn't mind an * followed by "one fish over 24 inches may be kept" in case I get that wall mounter. Also no more catch and release only area on BEC which I find weird.
- Matt

Instagram

William Schlafer
#5 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 6:07:11 PM

mjager0 wrote:
yeah I noticed the same for BEC, only <12", which I don't mind too much as I have never taken a fish home from of BEC, but I wouldn't mind an * followed by "one fish over 24 inches may be kept" in case I get that wall mounter. Also no more catch and release only area on BEC which I find weird.

There has been a big Trout population drop on BEC over the last two years. I think they're trying to get the numbers back up by restricting harvest. I didn't fish it last year, but others I talked to said it was slow fishing compared to previous years.

Stream restoration work has been done in the village of Cross Plains and another 1 mile strech above Mazomainie that may help boost reproduction with improved Trout habitat in coming years. I would expect major stocking this year by the DNR on BEC.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
mjager0
#6 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 7:12:22 PM

William Schlafer wrote:
mjager0 wrote:

There has been a big Trout population drop on BEC over the last two years. I think they're trying to get the numbers back up by restricting harvest. I didn't fish it last year, but others I talked to said it was slow fishing compared to previous years.

Stream restoration work has been done in the village of Cross Plains and another 1 mile strech above Mazomainie that may help boost reproduction with improved Trout habitat in coming years. I would expect major stocking this year by the DNR on BEC.

-Bill

yeah I agree with the idea to limit the harvest, I too can contest that fishing was slower last year than prior. Which is why I think it's unusual to eliminate the C and R only area that used to run from black earth upstream to south valley road.
- Matt

Instagram

William Schlafer
#7 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 8:47:34 PM

Good thing to keep in mind that this is just a proposal, not the final regs. Wouldn't be surprised if there is some tinkering and corrections between now and next year. If I get the chance, I'll send a question regarding the proposal and the lack of a C&R section for Black Earth Creek to the online WDNR chat scheduled for Tuesday..

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Cmac
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 2:33:19 PM

gonna be many thoughts and positions on this stuff....I agree, it all might be tweaked before all is said & done. I'm all for extending on both ends as long as the science guys say it seems ok. Beyond that..all the colors, bag limits, sizes..... I just catch & release with artificial so has no impact. others I'm sure will find this awkward system frustrating.
kschaefer3
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 3:53:34 PM

Cmac wrote:
I just catch & release with artificial so has no impact.

X2.
DanE
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:36:07 PM

I read through them at the Madison Fishing Expo on Saturday. I personally love the new regs. You can definitely see that they are implementing changes based on things that they have learned though their research. When looking at the map, lots of green water in the areas that have very good reproduction and higher numbers, good example is Vernon County. When you head east from there, more yellow water, which makes sense based on my personal experiences. Also good to see a more active management of brookie water, where harvest of brook trout is restricted, but browns and rainbows are not. As far as some of the waters not being C&R anymore, based on many of their studies, it will not have too much of an impact on population. To C-Mac's point, many catch and release exclusively already, or like me, harvest only a few fish per year. To that point some streams where regulations allowed a higher bag limit of smaller fish to control the population and increase the size structure, had little effect due to the majority of anglers practicing catch and release.