Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
OMG Options
rschmidt
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 5:37:02 PM

I thought the science on size structure was akin to abundant small fish decrease overall largest fish sizes in a given population. With the under 12" limits you simply discourage harvest and propagate more small fish? Either way, I'm no marine biologist but I do like to eat trout which are the cleanest fish in the seas in terms of PCBs, Lead and Hg. Guess the Kinni is sardines only, but at least the kayaks won't bug me as much ThumbDown .

R
trapper
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 5:43:56 PM

DanE wrote:
I read through them at the Madison Fishing Expo on Saturday. I personally love the new regs. You can definitely see that they are implementing changes based on things that they have learned though their research. When looking at the map, lots of green water in the areas that have very good reproduction and higher numbers, good example is Vernon County. When you head east from there, more yellow water, which makes sense based on my personal experiences. Also good to see a more active management of brookie water, where harvest of brook trout is restricted, but browns and rainbows are not. As far as some of the waters not being C&R anymore, based on many of their studies, it will not have too much of an impact on population. To C-Mac's point, many catch and release exclusively already, or like me, harvest only a few fish per year. To that point some streams where regulations allowed a higher bag limit of smaller fish to control the population and increase the size structure, had little effect due to the majority of anglers practicing catch and release.

ThumpUp

If the proposed regulation changes get implemented and a lack of Trout results, be proactive and contact the Biologist in charge and voice your concerns and maybe convince he/she to conduct a stream survey.
Get Reel

shebs
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 6:00:46 PM

rschmidt wrote:
I thought the science on size structure was akin to abundant small fish decrease overall largest fish sizes in a given population. With the under 12" limits you simply discourage harvest and propagate more small fish? Either way, I'm no marine biologist but I do like to eat trout which are the cleanest fish in the seas in terms of PCBs, Lead and Hg. Guess the Kinni is sardines only, but at least the kayaks won't bug me as much ThumbDown .

R

Based on that concept, this is probably a scientifically sound regulation - harvest the small fish so the size structure can improve, with larger fish surviving to reproduce and out-compete the small ones. A few years down the road there will be more big fish and they can allow one or two larger fish in the bag limit as well. Personally, I find the smaller fish are better eaters anyway, and as long as I can grab 5 little guys, I don't need to be eating bigg'uns.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 6:10:11 PM

rschmidt wrote:

R

The idea on the lower Kinni is to actually produce some trophies instead of it just being the numbers factory it currently is. People do keep Trout on the lower Kinni, so this should yield some results. Smaller fish from a stream like the Kinni taste amazing. Trust me.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
kschaefer3
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 6:57:53 PM

NBrevitz wrote:
rschmidt wrote:

R

The idea on the lower Kinni is to actually produce some trophies instead of it just being the numbers factory it currently is. People do keep Trout on the lower Kinni, so this should yield some results. Smaller fish from a stream like the Kinni taste amazing. Trust me.

I do trust you, and maybe I'll have to go whack a pile (a legal pile) of small fish off the Kinni this year.
DanE
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 6:59:58 PM

I do not typically keep many trout. Given the emphasis on keeping smaller ones to help the size structure of some of these streams, we will keep a limit if/when we happen to fish any of them.
shebs
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 7:00:51 PM

Interesting the response from the DNR folks in the chat today - the size structure will not improve if anglers aren't harvesting the small fish. Get out there and get some dinner!
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Pete
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 7:17:29 PM

shebs wrote:
Interesting the response from the DNR folks in the chat today - the size structure will not improve if anglers aren't harvesting the small fish. Get out there and get some dinner!

And improve your health in the process. Trout are high in omega 3s and have a low contaminant burden. Maybe it's time to update the motto from "Don't kill your limit, limit your kill," to "Kill your limit," at least on select waters.
NBrevitz
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 7:22:16 PM

shebs wrote:

Exactly. Go take some small Browns, the Kinni has some great holding water and could produce some real trophies if the abundance wasn't incredibly high.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 7:26:02 PM

kschaefer3 wrote:

I do trust you, and maybe I'll have to go whack a pile (a legal pile) of small fish off the Kinni this year.

A legal pile is always betterLaugh With all the scuds in the Kinni, those fish taste awesome .