Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
OMG Options
FryinPanDan
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 7:28:14 PM

Pete wrote:
shebs wrote:
Interesting the response from the DNR folks in the chat today - the size structure will not improve if anglers aren't harvesting the small fish. Get out there and get some dinner!

And improve your health in the process. Trout are high in omega 3s and have a low contaminant burden. Maybe it's time to update the motto from "Don't kill your limit, limit your kill," to "Kill your limit," at least on select waters.

I'm prepared to do my part! Drool
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
shebs
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 10:05:06 PM

I wasn't sure whether to post in this thread or the DNR chat thread, but since we're on the topic of eating fish...
I searched for the Wild Trout Symposium that Scot from WIDNR mentioned he had presented in (warning: large PDF) and found an interesting study on pg 119 - it seems that brook trout that live in the same waters as browns tend to have higher mercury levels than the browns. This study was the first to specifically address co-habitating populations, which is interesting - the presence of both species ina stream seems to impact the diets of each.
If you needed another reason to release our native trout, this would be a good one.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Woods&Water
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 10:08:36 PM

Its already been stated by many so I will just agree with their sentiments. I like the regulations that state all harvested fish must be below "X" inches. Better eaters at that size, helps the age structure of fish, lower numbers reduces comp and leads to bigger fish, and I won't keep a wall mounter anyway so I'm happy for the most part.
NBrevitz
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 10:25:16 PM

Woods&Water wrote:
Its already been stated by many so I will just agree with their sentiments. I like the regulations that state all harvested fish must be below "X" inches. Better eaters at that size, helps the age structure of fish, lower numbers reduces comp and leads to bigger fish, and I won't keep a wall mounter anyway so I'm happy for the most part.

Agreed. No need to keep a big boy and the smaller Trout are far more abundant. Should lead to better genetics in the population and larger fishThumpUp
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
rschmidt
#25 Posted : Wednesday, March 04, 2015 5:55:10 AM

I'm with ya, the voice of the many wise has persuaded me my perspective needs adjustment. 9 10 11" are as good as a 12 13 or 14" on the table, so I'll do my part. If it's true that relatively few anglers catch the most of the trout then DTA will be helping the size structure in the process. Happy fishing on Sat. 3 days. R