Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TreArrow  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 9:34:32 AM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Anyone use poly leaders for streamer fishing? I've tried sinking tips but find my streamers don't really get down that much with them, weighting the leader works but is hell to cast and seems to result in a really deaden action. Any recs on size, weight and brand?
Sponsor
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:02:46 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I've fished both the Airflo and Rio poly leaders and like them both a great deal. They take the "kick" out of casting other weighted leaders since they are tapered and sink nicely. I think pairing these with a weighted fly could be deadly in the DA. I have used these in places where I otherwise would use my 200 gr full sink for my 6 wt and it is a serviceable alternative. For the DA where I don't like a full sink anyway, I always carry a few of these for when my weighted fly just won't quite do it.

I suugest getting them in higher sink rates, 4.5-5 ips at a minimum. If you fish lots of shallow riffles with streamers, having one that is shorter and lighter might not be a bad idea though. See below. I like the 5.6 ips, but wouldn't mind having one of the 7 ips as well.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fishing-leaders/versileader/freshwater-versileaders/

Edited by user Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:05:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pete  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:43:00 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Kyle,

I'm curious about a couple of things, having never used a poly leader. All my "sinking" fishing has been done with a sink tip or sinking line and a short mono or fluorocarbon leader. Do you find the 10+ foot leader cumbersome? Are you able to use the entire length or do you often cut back on the leader length? Also, you mentioned weighted flies. I wonder how it would work with a neutral buoyancy fly; that works well with a sinking line, but maybe the weighted fly would be the better option for a poly leader. Any thoughts?
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:51:17 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I actually find the 10' poly leader to be very nice to cast. They are tapered, so not very cumbersome, imo. The turn over well, even with over sized flies. I have not cut any of mine back. I usually attach a 1-3' chunk of tippet and fish. I actually like the added length for a longer sinking portion. If length is an issue, they make other length poly leaders as well.

I have also considered neutral buoyancy flies. I used a fly that had dumbbell eyes, but also a pile of deer hair. Although the fly would eventually sink itself, it was nuetral-ish buoyant. The leader (5.6 ips 10') was able to sink the fly fairly efficiently. I would likely step up to the 7 ips if that was my main goal, though.
Pete  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:19:31 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Thanks; that helps a lot. You've convinced me to give it a try.
TreArrow  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:03:34 PM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Thanks for the info, gonna have to pick up a few and give them a try this season.
redneckdan  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:13:19 AM(UTC)
redneckdan

Man

Polys carry energy much better than a mono leader.

How deep are you fishing that a sink tip won't do it? Are you talking 5' tips like a SA Wet Tip series or a 25'~30' tips like the Streamer Express series? I fish in 8' of water below a dam in the spring for steelies, I use a 25' head Streamer Express with unweighted flies and have no issue getting to bottom on the swing.
TreArrow  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 2:07:58 PM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

I've been using 5ft sink tips, and looking for a better way to get deep. Mostly I fish small streams so 5-8 ft is all I'm trying to go.