Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Kinnickinnic Options
FlyFishGriff
#1 Posted : Monday, March 09, 2015 3:05:05 PM

Just wondering if anyone has gone out on the Kinnickinnic River yet this year? If so how has the fishing been? I hope everyone had a great opener too!
BeerMeDean
#2 Posted : Monday, March 09, 2015 3:19:34 PM

FlyFishGriff wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has gone out on the Kinnickinnic River yet this year? If so how has the fishing been? I hope everyone had a great opener too!

Sounds pretty slow.
This is your life, it's not a drill.

FlyHigh
#3 Posted : Monday, March 09, 2015 4:16:43 PM

I got skunked on both the Lower and Upper Kinni on Saturday. Talked to a lot of people and no one got more than one, most got nothing. The Upper was pretty muddy. The Lower was clear, but I didn't see any fish. Lots of bugs were out though. Even if the fish were biting, they were probably spooked all day long from the amount of people fishing.

I'm planning to head back out later in the week when the water has warmed up a bit.
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:07:20 PM

Fished the lower Kinnie on Saturday morning. Saw a lot of guys fishing. No one caught anything. Midge hatch was full on, but no fish rising or taking nymphs. Drove to Rush around 1pm. Saw over 10 guys come and go out of the parking area in a span of 30mins. That was when I called it quits. Spoke to an elderly gentleman in the parking lot. He said he fished all morning too without anything. He spoke to a few guys and they didn't catch anything either.
DimondViper
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:27:18 PM

Fished the Rush for awhile Sunday afternoon and the area we went was pretty full of ice on good water. Headed over to the Lower Kinni and it was open but nothing was biting. Heard the same from almost everyone else... no fish to be had really.
FlyFishGriff
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:31:46 PM

OK thanks guys! I was wondering if the snow melt would cause the water to get pretty cloudy. I was planning on heading out later this week too.
Jacobson_19
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:18:13 PM

Fished the south fork of the kinni just east of town late Sunday afternoon, water had gotten pretty muddy but managed to pull out one brookie, and lost one other. Caught lots of fish on the south fork last fall (nothing ever big), and if looking for numbers of fish and not size, its a great spot.

shebs
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 6:24:39 PM

I was on s fork yesterday, same story. Water was mostly clear when I showed up about 3pm, but by 5 it was so muddy I couldn't see the bottom in ankle deep water. Landed a couple brookies before it muddied up, and then nothing.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
FlyHigh
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:25:44 PM

Based on the stream gauge it looks like the snow has all melted and the river is starting to recede. Can anyone in RF confirm that the snow is all gone? I'm planning to get out Thursday afternoon and I'm hoping that the water coming down combined with the warm temps will make for good fishing.
shebs
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:34:17 PM

FlyHigh wrote:
Based on the stream gauge it looks like the snow has all melted and the river is starting to recede. Can anyone in RF confirm that the snow is all gone? I'm planning to get out Thursday afternoon and I'm hoping that the water coming down combined with the warm temps will make for good fishing.

When I was out there yesterday afternoon the only snow was on north facing slopes and in spots where it had drifted. After today I'd be surprised if there's even much of that left.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"