Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jandl  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:52:10 PM(UTC)
Jandl

I passed on fishing this past weekend due to busyness and wanting to avoid the crowds, but two days of this amazing weather and I couldn't resist impulsively taking the morning off and heading out. I drove to one of the popular creeks west of Madison in a surprisingly dense fog. A day that was supposed to be 60 and sunny started out--and kept going, until almost noon--overcast and a lot cooler. But I figured this might help keep the melt down (Driftless Angler had downgraded the day to fair, based on the "hot" day...bummer of a report to get), so I gave it a go.

The water was quite cold and dirtier than expected, too. Probably a foot of visibility. No insects initially sighted, no sign of trout. I spent the first ninety minutes fishless, mostly just donating flies to snags, and was on the verge of settling into acceptance of a skunking when the sun started to peek out, and I lost my first fish. Then I almost immediately caught another out of the same run. And things just picked up from there--it wasn't one of those billion fish days like some of you cats talk about ThumpUp, but I ended up with 9 to hand and 6 more lost over the next 1.5 hours. A total turn-around, given that I had been getting close to calling it a day! By 1pm, I'd also seen one BWO fluttering on the surface, and a handful of midges every couple of pools.

All fish came on nymphs. Tried out a couple of the new Orvis jig patterns for a lead fly (I'm a fan), and used a homemade winter stone imitation for the dropper. Fish hit both, but maybe preferred the dropper slightly. Important information of the day: almost no fish came out of big pools. Most were in runs or nearby.

Great to have a new season underway!

Nathan

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor