Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Mountain Man  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:33:35 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Josey and Timberland I purchased materials from Hook and Hackle. They have great sales and were quick to answer any questions I had. My 3wt is a 4 piece, but I would prefer a 2 piece. I build another last weekend for my old man, a 4pc 9' 5wt for bass and trout. The second one turned out much better. Picking compatible parts was the hard part but was easier to figure out after the first build. I used two types of thread on the first build and one of the threads was pretty frayed and left the finish bumpy on a few of the wraps.

I will be building a bunch more rods. I've extended the offer to friends and family that if they pay for the components I'll do the build for free. Once I get much better I plan to purchase some higher end parts to build a really nice rod!

I can't emphasize enough that it's really not that hard and there are more than enough tutorials and resources online to reduce the learning curve. I'll probably never buy another factory rod again.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:35:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AnotherPlatonist  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2015 7:43:28 PM(UTC)
AnotherPlatonist

Nice job! I've been building my own rods for years now...careful, it gets addicting!
Gabe S  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2015 9:22:02 PM(UTC)
Gabe S

Man

I just started building rods over winter also. I rebuilt a 7'9" Jack Benson Featherweight aluminum 6wt. It was made in Manitowoc, WI and has a really nice slow action. I also finished building a 7'6" Blue Halo 3wt glass rod just in time to not catch fish on it on the opener. ThumbDown
Non facis condonas bonitatem ut consequs triumphum.
Do not sacrifice integrity in order to gain victory.
tim_y  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 6:42:33 AM(UTC)
tim_y

Great going on the rod. Once you build one, you'll find yourself wondering what else you need in your quiver. They don't really have as many deals anymore, but I remember when I first started years ago, the Orvis rod shop would sell past iterations of blanks for a song. Mudhole is a good place for materials, and if anyone is near Chicago, Coren's is a fantastic source of information. Sometimes seeing a technique done in person makes all the difference.