Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GreatPyrs  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 6:43:25 AM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Good morning folks,

I am heading out tomorrow for what appears to be a rainy day of trout bumming. and will be south of the Fennimore area. So….wondering about what we use when expecting some rain and hopefully the barometric pressure working in my favor. I will have some good nymph rigs put together- working on that right now so I am quicker to set and get going and maybe it will be easier on the tired eyes from driving:).

I also plan to have some attractors , maybe with a dropper, to toss - Stimulators for a stone imitation, Hippe Stompers , which worked well a couple of weeks ago, and of course the old Elk Caddis type stuff. I am hoping for some BWO's as the day moves on and going after the dries.

Gear wise, a good jacket is along with extra clothing for a change or certainly the ride back to the burbs. Anyone have any favorites or tricks they like to utilize in these conditions?

It is great to be getting some rain, and I am actually excited about, adventure+ more Smile

Would love to hear from folks on how they might go about the day…..

Cheers,

Philip
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
Sponsor
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 7:13:24 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

GreatPyrs wrote:
Anyone have any favorites or tricks they like to utilize in these conditions?

A flask of whiskey will help keep you warm if it's a cold rain. It also helps keep your spirits up.
Pete  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 7:16:45 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Any recent rains around here have caused worms to show themselves. I guess everything has warmed to the point where they're getting active. If you are out in the rain tomorrow, I'd consider drifting some San Juan worms or something that looks like a gob of redworms or crawlers. Or maybe a streamer to imitate the local baitfish coming out of their hiding spots to feed on any worms washed into the stream-that could attract some of the bigger trout.
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 8:26:08 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Prevailing theories are that when it rains, food is kicked up in the stream triggering Trout to feed. Cloudy skies always make for better fishing. Rain disturbing the water surface can also make Trout comfortable enough to move out into open areas of the stream to feed. A little stain of the water will do the same thing and makes approaches much easier.

Watch the water temps. If they're rising, the fishing could be hot. Dark colored streamers and Wooly Buggers are very effective in stained water. Otherwise bead head nymphs, San Juan worms, leech patterns, scuds and wet flies should all work well. Might be a bit early for BWO, beetles, foam patterns or surface dry flies. Although if you see risers, go for it. I heard that last week that dark colored sunken Caddis patterns were working well in some places.

Good luck!
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
shebs  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 1:02:20 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Pete wrote:
Any recent rains around here have caused worms to show themselves. I guess everything has warmed to the point where they're getting active. If you are out in the rain tomorrow, I'd consider drifting some San Juan worms or something that looks like a gob of redworms or crawlers. Or maybe a streamer to imitate the local baitfish coming out of their hiding spots to feed on any worms washed into the stream-that could attract some of the bigger trout.

I can confirm this - found a live nightcrawler in the water on Trimbelle on Saturday - it hadn't even rained for a couple days, but this means the ground is thawed and the worms are active again.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
mjager0  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 1:06:06 PM(UTC)
mjager0

Man

what color san juans do u guys find most effective?
- Matt
Instagram
kschaefer3  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 1:07:54 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

mjager0 wrote:

The natural colored ones found in plastic containers with a "C" on the lid written in permanent marker...
shebs  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 1:10:45 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
kschaefer3 wrote:

The natural colored ones found in plastic containers with a "C" on the lid written in permanent marker...

LOL LOL

Poor bastards in Wisco can't use those til May Flapper

On that note...MN HARVEST OPENS THIS WEEKEND. Been jonesin' for some trout since October...can't wait!
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
DanE  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 1:22:44 PM(UTC)
DanE

shebs wrote:
kschaefer3 wrote:

LOL LOL

Poor bastards in Wisco can't use those til May Flapper

On that note...MN HARVEST OPENS THIS WEEKEND. Been jonesin' for some trout since October...can't wait!

I know where FryingPan will be this weekend! LOL
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 1:44:14 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
mjager0 wrote:

I've always had good luck with the red ones. If your really courageous, try the Gob-o-Worms.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos