Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Mt. Vernon Options
Grooty1515
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 2:29:16 AM

Going camping this next weekend and Fishing Mt. Vernon. We really have never nymphed before just mainly dry fly so it will be pretty fun to learn some new tactics. I have some Pink squirrels and some other nymphs but dont really know what to use. Besides that does anyone have any stream advise for us or what to expect?
William Schlafer
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:12:06 AM

Mt. Vernon can be a busy stream, especially on the weekends. It's one of the closest Trout streams to Madison. I've fished the parts below town a couple of times, but didn't do very well on either occasion. The section above town is supposed to be better, but I've never had a chance to fish it.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
briz
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:15:31 PM

I head out to that area once or twice a week because its a quick drive from work. area near fishery has some riffles but a lot more bends and pools so get nymphs or buggers down. Turn over some rocks and fish with what you find. Have also been seeing surface activity when the midges are out. It can be surprisingly deep in spots for its size and can be a mushy wade in spots but don't be afraid to get in the water. some holes just feel better when you are balls deep
p_gundlach
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 5:07:06 PM

I've often struggled at Mount Vernon Creek, definitely can be tricky to fish, though they are in there in numbers, so under the right conditions, I'm sure it can be dynamite. The West Branch of the Sugar River is worth a shot too, and tends to run a little more off-color in case of sunny conditions and crystal clear water at Mount Vernon. If you don't mind fishing skinnier water, Frye's Feeder holds plenty of browns (and perhaps a few brookies); lots of habitat improvements on all of those area streams.
Grooty1515
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:47:53 PM

Thanks for the advise guys! My buddy and I are both down to check out a few streams so we will be sure to be hitting these spots. Thanks again!
George
#6 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 3:37:24 AM

Mt Vernon is my home stream that I fish. Any typical nymph will work fine but I like to throw a double rig with a scud below. Woolybuggers are very good cause you have to get deep. Must use a split shot with anything below the surface.
SquareEgg
#7 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 6:33:52 PM

I fished this creek once this winter. Trout were out in numbers but not liking anything I had to offer. Just one of those days I suppose. The stream is beautiful. Skinny,lots of deep pools.
Camping in the immediate area, any recommendations? I may make a DA run this weekend but wouldn't mind cutting my drive in half and camping in the area there Friday night, fish, and move onto the Westby R&G Saturday.
George
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:10:13 PM

Blue Mounds State Park is a good place to camp while fishing areas around Madison, including Mount Vernon Creek.