Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 6:45:42 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 122 post(s)
From the USGS automated reporting stations, it doesn't look too bad in the SW part of Wisconsin:

UserPostedImage

I would guess that some of the bigger streams may be blown out, but the smaller ones will should clear quickly. Forecast is for dry and warmer weather this weekend, so things should improve by the hour.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
DanE  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 7:52:33 AM(UTC)
DanE

PrettyFlyWIGuy wrote:
I was planning a day trip out this weekend (2-3hr drive). Does anyone have a feel for how Richland and Grant county streams are holding up? Will streams be clear enough to fish tomorrow AM? From DanE's linked ran map it looks like ~3" in the past 24hrs. Thanks in advance!

PrettyFly - Richland and Grant also got 2-3" the day before, so larger streams will likely be dirty until later Saturday or Sunday. To Bill's point, if you find headwater areas, they should be running cleaner by tomorrow, assuming we don't get too much rain with this afternoon's predicted showers. Here is realtime data from the USGS. If you click on the dots and scroll down the page, it will show the CFS of the waters they measure. For instance, if you click on the blue dot on the Richland/Vernon County border you will get the Kickapoo River. You can see the Kickapoo has been running at 200 cfs prior to the rains, but is up around 900 currently. Also to Bill's point, you can see how quickly the levels drop. It was over 700 Wednesday, dropped below 400 prior to yesterdays rains, and is now back up over 900. Watching this periodically will give you an idea what the waters are doing. If you see the Kickapoo dropping significantly, you can bet the feeders will be fishable. If you do make the trip and don't find clean water at your 1st stop, keep heading upstream and you should find fishable water. If you have at least a few options in mind prior to heading up with at least a couple headwaters you should be fine.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wi/nwis/rt
taion  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 9:03:48 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

Rush is up and a little hazy, Good Hatch yesterday right after the rain of BWO and Elk Hair Caddis.
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
Skimmer  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 9:46:38 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Milwaukee river is up from 4ft @ 380cfs to over 10ft @ 3700cfs that's a lot of rain! We needed it!
PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 11:17:26 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

Thanks for the feedback guys. I needed someone other than myself to blame if I drive out for nothing. ;-)
William Schlafer  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 11:40:12 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Thing to keep in mind is that the Kickapoo is a terrible yardstick for determining the conditions of other streams in the area. It's 126 miles long and has a massive watershed. Almost any rain in the area will muddy it up some, while many of it's tribs may be running clear or only slightly stained.

Best bet before you make a long drive is to check with Mat & Geri at the Driftless Angler fly shop in Viroqua.

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, April 10, 2015 11:41:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 11:48:07 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

William Schlafer wrote:
Thing to keep in mind is that the Kickapoo is a terrible yardstick for determining the conditions of other streams in the area. It's 126 miles long and has a massive watershed. Almost any rain in the area will muddy it up some, while many of it's tribs may be running clear or only slightly stained.

Best bet before you make a long drive is to check with Mat & Geri at the Driftless Angler fly shop in Viroqua.

-Bill

Good tip Bill. I'll do just that.
DanE  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 11:50:10 AM(UTC)
DanE

William Schlafer wrote:

-Bill

I guess my point with it was that if the water level and flow is going down on the kickapoo, chances are the tribs will be clear enough to fish, as the Kickapoo will be the last to drop in the area. Seeing that it crested again this am and is dropping already this afternoon, I would be comfortable making the drive to fish tomorrow. I have used it as a barometer in the past with much success. ThumpUp
taion  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 1:32:35 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

William Schlafer wrote:

-Bill

I find the Rush to be similar. Lots of fields have drains that run into it. One night we watched the Thunder Storms North of us. Not a drop where we were. The 12 hours later it really came up on the Rush and was unfishable
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.