Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Beadhead  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:19:32 AM(UTC)
Beadhead

I learned the hard way a few summers ago in driftless that not only are waders rarely needed (in driftless area), but can be a detriment...it was warmer than expected in the valley, 80F/June, we had hiked maybe 3 miles and was over-heated, luckily brought water and waded to cool down (mine are gore-tex), decided right then that unless it's March/April I really don't need waders here over 65F...the water is shallow and warmer (than out west), the streams are narrow (which means less wading), we do a lot of hiking between pools, and these new quick dry lite wt pants they have now (North Face, etc) are perfect, inexpensive and don't collect burrs, I just wear 2 pair of socks so the boots (Cabelas rubber bottom)fit well...just a tip when the weather warms up...IMHO.
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:08:09 AM(UTC)
DanE

I think it really depends on the water you are fishing. Is it public or does it have an easement, or is it private where you need to stay in the water. Also what is the depth if it is private and have to keep your feet wet. Generally I would agree with you, but have fished some deeper private sections that I was very glad to have my chest high waders.
Jared  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:08:38 AM(UTC)
Jared

I quit waders last year once the weather warmed up. Wearing rubber pants when its 80+ degrees out is for crazy people.

In the summer I have some quick dry pants, think I got mine at Gander, and a pair of old trail running shoes. So much more comfortable. When its mid summer, that creek water feels good guys! Give it a try! I keep some dry shoes or flip flops in the truck to change into so I'm not in soggy feet all the time between water or on the way home.

When its colder out I have a pair of old rubber hip boots I still wear. Not so comfortable for really covering ground, but they work. All your points for not wearing waders in the Driftless are right on in my opinion. My waders are getting to be more patches than rubber now. I'm looking at those Hippies Chota makes as a possibility for a replacement down the road. I'd be interested if anybody has any experience with those, mostly durability wise.

Edited by user Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:09:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
DanE  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:14:07 AM(UTC)
DanE

I do the same thing as Jared when I wet wade. Nylon pants with zipoff legs and trail shoes. When I am done, take off the shoes, zip off the legs, throw on the flip flops and I am good to go.
Jared  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:14:35 AM(UTC)
Jared

I hear you Dan about private water, but if there is a deep enough hole I can't get through in hip boots, its my understanding that that is considered an obstruction to wading, and I have the right to leave the stream to get around it. I like to try and not leave the water on private land but sometimes you need to. Just get my butt back in ASAP.

Edited by user Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:15:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
Skimmer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:47:14 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Board shorts (swimsuit) and Chacos (sandals) is how I roll after it gets warm enough. I started wearing old trail running shoes a little bit after a very close call with a snapping turtle last season. I did get a few dirty looks last season from a pair of guys that looked like they bought an entire Orvis store and were wearing it. I guess bathing suit with PBR in hand lazily 1 hand casting wasn't "classic fly fishing style" I wish I had a picture of them
DanE  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:05:28 AM(UTC)
DanE

Skimmer wrote:
Board shorts (swimsuit) and Chacos (sandals) is how I roll after it gets warm enough. I started wearing old trail running shoes a little bit after a very close call with a snapping turtle last season. I did get a few dirty looks last season from a pair of guys that looked like they bought an entire Orvis store and were wearing it. I guess bathing suit with PBR in hand lazily 1 hand casting wasn't "classic fly fishing style" I wish I had a picture of them

Hahaha, I love messing with the prim and proper guys too. When I was a kid I would wet wade the WI River this time of year, because I couldn't afford waders. That and a trolling minnow bucket tied around my waist (fished jig and minnow) and I was set for a couple hours. The looks I got were priceless.I use the long pants only to guard against the stinging nettles, poison parsnip, etc. when you get into the warm months of summer.

Edited by user Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:07:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

big_river_bum  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:30:17 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I've tried wet wading with athletic shorts and underarmour spandex type tights underneath. the only problem I find is figuring out what to do with my wallet, phone, smokes, lighter, ect. or at least anything that won't fit in my medium sized chestpack
DanE  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:35:16 AM(UTC)
DanE

big_river_bum wrote:
I've tried wet wading with athletic shorts and underarmour spandex type tights underneath. the only problem I find is figuring out what to do with my wallet, phone, smokes, lighter, ect. or at least anything that won't fit in my medium sized chestpack

For some reason I have a picture of Richard Simmons stuck in my head now. Confused LOL
big_river_bum  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:53:03 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
i know i looked goofy but i would never go in shorts to some of the places i fish. to much that can burn, or bite, or sting. I'm going to try the nylon pants though