Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
turbomike15  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:07:19 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

Hey guys. I just got back from an epic trip to the homeland of wild native steelhead. I'm only slightly disappointed to say I only got 1 hookup the whole trip and failed to land the fish... It was a hot angry fish that nearly spooled me and the take on the swing was like nothing I've experienced in my DA trouting. This has me itching for more and I was wondering where to fish this weekend. Seems like with the rainfall we are seeing and general reports from the Lake Mich tribs, this weekend should be prime steelheading conditions. I'm in Madison and can really only fish Sunday so the Brule is out of the question. I'm not super into combat fishing, so that eliminates the Root/Pike/Oak Cr in my mind. I'm open to the Milwaukee, as I've had moderate success there, but would like to branch out. Here's my short list:

-Sheboygan, does anyone have any advice on wading up to the Kohler property? I don't want to drop 200 bucks to fish it and it seems like that's where the best water is.
-Manitowoc/Two Rivers
-Kewaunee

PM me if you don't want to hotspot, but I figured these are all pretty well know tribs. I prefer bigger water that I can swing.

Thanks
MR

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
turbomike15  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 6:56:34 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

Like my steelheading trip this weekend, this thread hasn't gotten a bump, tug or flash. Nothing. Big fat skunk.

Trip Report from 4/12/15:

Fished Sheboygan, Manitowoc, West and East Twin, and the Kewaunee rivers yesterday. First two were pumping and chocolate milk. Barely got the line wet. West twin was a little less stained and people were catching a few fish on spawn at the Shoto damn. East twin was running clear and there were reports of fish being caught on spawn, beads, and glo bugs. The Kewaunee was clear but no fish to be found. A local mentioned folks were limiting out a week earlier.

Steelheading is a mindf*ck. That is all.
Jared  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 7:40:29 AM(UTC)
Jared

turbomike15 wrote:
Like my steelheading trip this weekend, this thread hasn't gotten a bump, tug or flash. Nothing. Big fat skunk.

Steelheading is a mindf*ck. That is all.

Yeah but it still beats golf.

Keep at it, you clearly have the sickness so just roll with it, not much else you can do.
"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
turbomike15  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 11:00:59 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

I broke the curse this weekend in Bayfield Cty. Landed my first adfluvial rainbow trout on a pegged bead rig. Fall back 26" male.

UserPostedImage

Now does anyone have any info on if the fish are still in on the Milwaukee? I saw a post on Trouterspace that chromers are still getting caught.
Skimmer  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 2:34:17 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Was catching them in Port Washington last week. Just about over I'd guess, not many left in the creek
turbomike15  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:11:10 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

Guess its time to focus on resident trout then... Till this fall at least :)
donjuan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 2:36:22 PM(UTC)
donjuan

Great looking fish Mike. Nice pic too, I like your enthusiasm. ThumpUp
turbomike15  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:11:36 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

donjuan wrote:
Great looking fish Mike. Nice pic too, I like your enthusiasm. ThumpUp

Thanks Donjuan, after what seems like many many many days on the water with little to nothing to show, I was more than enthusiastic to land this fish. Hopefully there will be more to come!