Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spreebee  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:04:16 PM(UTC)
spreebee

So my wife's grandfather passed away late last week and yesterday afternoon I went over to the house to help the family start sorting through all the things a man of 80+ years with 4 grown children and many grand and great grand children has accumulated. Given that I'm just about the only one of the family who actively does much fishing and hunting I got the job of identifying the old fly rods and reel (shotguns are still easier for me since I'm new to the fly fishing thing).

I've managed to identify the reel as a Kalamazoo Tackle Company Mirage Silent Automatic. Seems these were fairly common in the 1940-1960's time period.

I believe one of the rods to be a Kingfisher Mascot X102 probably made by Montague.

The last one is giving me fits trying to figure out a rough vintage and time of manufacture. It is a clear blank and has a label for Southwester Co, Chicago, Il and "Southwester Fibre-Glass". I have found reference to a Southwester Co. in Chicago, Il in a legal decision related to labor practices in early 1953 and identifies the company as a manufacturer of fishing rods and tackle. However, I haven't been able to find any other mention of their rods.

I'm not able to attach photos at the moment since I haven't figured out how, but if anyone has some suggestions on where to look (or how to add photos) I would be grateful.

Sponsor
MNFishhunter  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:11:35 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

If it's glass, visit the Fiberglass Fly Rodders forum and post a pic or two. It's a great forum for rod ID.
spreebee  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 10:27:43 AM(UTC)
spreebee

Thanks! I confirmed the Montague made Kingfisher so this Souther is the only one I'm not sure about right now.