Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MNTrout68  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 9:22:57 AM(UTC)
MNTrout68

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Fished the lower Kinni (Jackson Preserve) Saturday morning from sunrise to about 11:00. The scenery was beautiful - the resident eagle made an appearance, the turkeys were vocal and a beaver stalked me all morning - but the fish were absent. I had one take all day, which of course happened as I was reaching for a new fly in the vest, so no hookset. I was fishing sub-surface (pink squirrel, PT nymph, hares ear soft hackle, zebra midge, etc.) all morning because I didn't see or hear a single rise or sip, even when a hatch of tiny black midges (?) came off in reasonable numbers.

Anybody else have better luck over the weekend? I'm pretty new to this river and I've managed zero fish in 2 trips. Any advice on fly selection, technique, or location?

I know a bad day fishing is better than a good day at the (almost anything else), but a good day fishing is better than a bad day fishing.
Sponsor
brun0306  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 10:43:46 AM(UTC)
brun0306

Your results of 0 fish to hand seem to echo most reports this spring from Pierce County (Kinni & Rush), especially on the lower kinni.

The number of fish in Pierce County appears to be way down from previous years, so the fish that are still around have an abundant supply of food and don't seem to be as keen on our imitations. I hope catch rates improve as temps rise, but there are a lot of people getting nervous around that area.

Edited by user Monday, April 13, 2015 10:47:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

taion  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 11:09:53 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

It has been really slow on the Rush and Kinni. I have been out 10 times and been skunked 7 of them. This is at places I know. I have had a lot of nice hikes though.Smile
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
TheDancingMan  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 1:24:30 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The Rush was fishing great yesterday, especially considering the slow start to the year. I brought six trout to hand on a sparkle dun. I easily missed six more fish. The rises were slow and presentation was key.