Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Mountain Man  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:04:05 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I am fortunate to live in an area surrounded by miles of trout streams. On my way to work I pass a number of country roads that lead to trout paradise, in fact I travel along a stream on the way to work every day! It's always a challenge to get to work on time but after work it's pretty easy to stop and fish, if even for just a few minutes.

With temps in the mid 60's on Monday I had to check out a stream with very little public access. The sun was bright and the water was relatively clear. The stream is close to town but appears to be lightly pressured so I tied on a streamer and plied the water for 5-6 minutes. What I found was promising!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Notice you can see my jalopy which has been a trusty steed in both work and play. I've driven that car up washed out stream beds in Montana's back-country on more than a few occasions with no break downs. The fish were really aggressive today so I'm planning to head for a long hike to unpressured waters this weekend! Cloudy skies, warm temps, and rain showers in the forecast should make fishing fun.
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:10:31 PM(UTC)
DanE

Nice! I have a 2003 Olds Alero with 160,000 miles and it is a great all around beater too. The best part is you don't feel bad if you get a dent in it going down a narrow logging trail or something like that.
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:11:28 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 45 post(s)
That's a damn good scouting trip!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
MN Mountain Man  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:27:50 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Dan, before I got my Subaru I would precariously rig two kayaks on/in it. I'd put a kayak through the trunk and one on the top without any padding. Then I'd connect the top one to the front bumper and to the back of the one sticking out the trunk. Then I'd hold onto the front of the one protruding into the front seats of the car and I'd cross my fingers! The roof of the car would cave while I had it rigged but as soon as pressure was released the roof would pop back into shape. Gotta love the dent resistant panels.

I never got into any trouble with that setup but I got a lot of weird looks.
DanE  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 6:01:12 AM(UTC)
DanE

MN Mountain Man wrote:
Dan, before I got my Subaru I would precariously rig two kayaks on/in it. I'd put a kayak through the trunk and one on the top without any padding. Then I'd connect the top one to the front bumper and to the back of the one sticking out the trunk. Then I'd hold onto the front of the one protruding into the front seats of the car and I'd cross my fingers! The roof of the car would cave while I had it rigged but as soon as pressure was released the roof would pop back into shape. Gotta love the dent resistant panels.

I never got into any trouble with that setup but I got a lot of weird looks.

That's awesome, ingenuity at it's finest!