Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GreatPyrs  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 7:01:18 AM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Hi Folks, quite a bit of bantering on the old board lately. I would say beer and fish are in order!!!! - lots of both :). Sadly, I am spending most of next week next week camping around Devils Lake with fellow REI employees BigGrin

I am getting folks out climbing and might even convince a few to stream hop with me a day or two….That being said I certainly see some streams, rivers nearby that are on the list I am putting together
- just wondering if anyone has been out and about that way lately and has any info they wish to share. I am looking at the Wisconsin Trout Maps and see Honey, Rowley, Manley,anyone had some great days about this area?

Thanks in advance, cheers…Philip
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 7:11:11 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 120 post(s)
The fishing on that side of the Driftless Area can be hit and miss. Spring Creek and Rowan Creek (near Lodi & Poynette) are supposed to be decent, but I've never fished them. The better streams are further west in Richland, Crawford and Vernon Counties. An hours drive will put you into prime Trout waters.

Good luck,
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
turbomike15  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 7:27:06 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

As I'm also a climber who frequents Devil's Lake, I've spent some time scouting trout water in the immediate area. Both Manely and Parfrey's Glen Cr's aren't worth the effort, however I did not get much past where they meet, maybe it gets better downstream... I have never fished Rowan, but along with Bill, have heard that Rowan and Lodi are decent trout water. Lodi sounds like it can be difficult to access..

Good luck and post a trip report!

MR
cschub13  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 8:35:43 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Rowan is a fun little creek with lots of public land. It's a small crystal clear spring creek loaded with small browns, but it's pretty tough to fish. I've been there a few times, and I'll be back too.
p_gundlach  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 10:27:18 AM(UTC)
p_gundlach

Man

There are some beautiful little spots in those Baraboo Bluffs; some of the creeks you mentioned (and also some you didn't mention) are definitely worth a shot, particularly if you are in the area anyway. Some VERY scenic locations on some of those little brookie streams in the area, a couple of which have made me almost feel like I was in the mountains as opposed to in Wisconsin.
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 10:59:23 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Parfrey's Glen is a beautiful area to hike. Almost a rainforest environment. The creek is supposed to Class I Trout water, but most of the parts I looked at was very shallow water. If there are Trout in there, they would be small. Downstream might be better, but difficult to access I'm told.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
FryinPanDan  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 11:00:27 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

It it were later in the year, I'd say just stick around the lake and cast for smallies at dusk
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 4:35:04 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

They stock Rainbows in Devils Lake, don't they? I'd think you would need a boat to fish it effectively though. Crawling over those rocks is no fun.

-Bill
DanE  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 5:50:38 PM(UTC)
DanE

William Schlafer wrote:
They stock Rainbows in Devils Lake, don't they? I'd think you would need a boat to fish it effectively though. Crawling over those rocks is no fun.

-Bill

They stopped stocking Rainbows a while back, and only stock browns now. Almost need to have a boat to fish them in open water. They typically suspend in 25 - 40 feet of water. We fish them off the south shore boat landing toward the cottages with a slip bobber and medium fathead minnow. I don't believe season is open on them yet though.
flyfishingfreak  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 6:00:39 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

up around that area i've fished rowan and spring creek(lodi) and both have good numbers of fish. I've seen a few fish 20" out of both of those creeks. I bleieve there is an old brown hanging on the wall of a sporting goods store in sauk city that was something like 26"? that was from spring creek.