Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanE  
#21 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 6:13:38 AM(UTC)
DanE

zachisageek wrote:
A few weeks ago I hit up Spring Creek in Lodi just north of town at the public access easement land on Hwy J. I had a fish splash in front of me in the first half hour, but that was it with the high water & chocolate milk visibility. It might be better when it's clearer.

That afternoon I moved up to Baxter's Hollow, which is on the other side of Hwy 12 from Devil's Lake, just to the west. I fished a few more hours there, and saw at least one rise on a bigger pool. That area is totally worth checking out just for the scenery.
UserPostedImage

I live about 10 minutes from Otter Creek and Baxter's Hollow. Actually took a drive up there last night, was going to fish my favorite hole for a few minutes, but there were 3 cars in the lot. Could've been hikers, but decided to skip it in case there was even 1 fisherman. Beautiful place for a hike and to take your rod along,ann I usually end up fishing it once or twice a year. Unfortunately the population is small in both volume and size structure, and it is fragmented due to some impassable sections from boulders moving from the floods in 1994 and 2008. It gets too much fishing pressure for the size and sensitivity of the fishery in my opinion. Great spot to catch a bunch of chubs in the summer, and get a couple small brookies to boot usually. Typically it fishes well in late spring/early summer. March and April always seems to fish tough, and later in the year low flow can be a problem. Not trying to discourage anyone from going there, just trying to set expectations accordingly. I have 1 or 2 other spots that are even smaller water that I don't share with anyone locally, and will only fish them with someone if they already know and fish them, due to the sensitive nature of some of these small native brookie waters. Manley Creek is a great fishery and story. Since they completed the HI there 10-15 years ago, the native brookies have rebounded into a great population. What started out as few fish in the stream, has rebounded into the types of numbers per mile you see in the western driftless. Many people discount it, as it is super narrow and tough to fish, but they are there in size and quantity if you figure out how to fish it, which takes a few outings and a lot of patience.

Edited by user Friday, April 24, 2015 6:20:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

zachisageek  
#22 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 10:28:59 AM(UTC)
zachisageek

Apologies if I'm sharing the small local holes in such a public way. I loved that there were zero signs for the location :D
DanE  
#23 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 10:45:24 AM(UTC)
DanE

zachisageek wrote:
Apologies if I'm sharing the small local holes in such a public way. I loved that there were zero signs for the location :D

No worries, the cat has been out of the bag for a while on Otter Creek. It seems to get quite a bit of pressure, even though results are usually below average. I am guess a lot of people go as much for the hike as they do the fishing, like you said, because of the beauty. I noticed they just finished some improvements in the field below Baxters, hopefully that will help the numbers out some. Work has been going on in various sections of Otter for the last 5-10 years, but this is the 1st that I have seen it upstream in the area that is classified as trout water. With some additional work to remove some "boulder jams" further up in the bluff from the flooding in 2008, it has the potential to get even better. All work done so far is just Sauk County, no TU involvement to date. Doesn't appear they have put any lunkers in the section that was just completed. I plan to bring it up at our next TU meeting to see if there is a way that our chapter can get involved and see if we can make it a better fishery.
zachisageek  
#24 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 3:52:29 PM(UTC)
zachisageek

I noticed the improvements in the field. Nice to see the county getting involved without trout activists pushing it.

I'm looking to expand my reach in that area, as it's the closest I get to driftless on a regular basis.
DanE  
#25 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 6:33:14 PM(UTC)
DanE

zachisageek wrote:
I noticed the improvements in the field. Nice to see the county getting involved without trout activists pushing it.

I'm looking to expand my reach in that area, as it's the closest I get to driftless on a regular basis.

I noticed the no trespassing signs in 2 spots there too. Might have to test that landowner's knowledge of the stream laws later this year once the improvements mature a little. The stream with the most potential in the area that I have fished is Rowley, but I have only fished it once. I will work on rectifying that more this summer.
turbomike15  
#26 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 12:22:57 PM(UTC)
turbomike15

Got out climbing this weekend and stopped by Manley creek on the way back to Madison. The gf was able to land a small brookie to my surprise. She has much more patience than I on these small creeks... Saw quite a few small fish but nothing really work targeting... After looking at the maps, it seems like where Manley and Parfrey's Glen Cr meet is a more fishable sized piece of water. It was nice to get out in conjunction with another hobby though!

Mike