Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanE  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 6:01:26 PM(UTC)
DanE

GreatPyrs wrote:
Hi Folks, quite a bit of bantering on the old board lately. I would say beer and fish are in order!!!! - lots of both :). Sadly, I am spending most of next week next week camping around Devils Lake with fellow REI employees BigGrin

I am getting folks out climbing and might even convince a few to stream hop with me a day or two….That being said I certainly see some streams, rivers nearby that are on the list I am putting together
- just wondering if anyone has been out and about that way lately and has any info they wish to share. I am looking at the Wisconsin Trout Maps and see Honey, Rowley, Manley,anyone had some great days about this area?

Thanks in advance, cheers…Philip

Most of the water is small and/or private in Sauk County. Due to the size,most of the water in Sauk County is better fished solo. Since a lot of the water is sidewalk wide, it takes a while the learn how to fish them, as they present many challenges not faced in bigger water, kind of technical in their own rite. Honey and Manley are good examples of this. Rowley Creek is a really nice creek, reminiscent of waters further west, but all private, so keeping feet wet is a necessity, and it is mostly hike back out the way you came in. Dell Creek on the other side of Baraboo has a decent section that is public and is a bit bigger, but more of a sandy stream, so it fishes a bit different than your typical driftless water. Just a quick overview, shoot me a message if you want/need more info.
FryinPanDan  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:03:18 PM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

On second thought... you might be alright to just stick around the lake. Here's what was going on out there today:

"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
DanE  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 8:26:00 AM(UTC)
DanE

That's a pretty sexy reel you have in that video! Wink
FryinPanDan  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 8:49:26 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

DanE wrote:
That's a pretty sexy reel you have in that video! Wink

So gently I had to set it onto the rocks.
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 7:04:53 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Awesome looking bug hatch Dan. I can't tell from the vid, but were those Trout you were catching? Any big ones? My uncle used to go up there many years ago and fish off a boat at night (during Hex hatch - I think). He would bring back some giant Trout and would never say where he caught them. But later we figured out that it was Devils Lake.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
FryinPanDan  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 7:30:38 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

William Schlafer wrote:
Awesome looking bug hatch Dan. I can't tell from the vid, but were those Trout you were catching? Any big ones? My uncle used to go up there many years ago and fish off a boat at night (during Hex hatch - I think). He would bring back some giant Trout and would never say where he caught them. But later we figured out that it was Devils Lake.

-Bill

....Is that so????? ThumpUp

Yes, those are stocker browns. All about the same size. 100s no.. 1000s of them! I even got my girlfriend to catch one. First time fly fishing! ha!
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
trapper  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 7:55:11 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 33 post(s)
1000s of them!

Think I read the stocking report at 16,000 Brown Trout stocked this year alone
Get Reel
FryinPanDan  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 7:57:54 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

trapper wrote:
1000s of them!

Think I read the stocking report at 16,000 Brown Trout stocked this year alone

Yup, could have just netted the darn things.
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
madguy30  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:24:38 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Rowan's a nice stream...although they gutted the trees and carved out the stream east/upstream of 51. Was there last week and it was depressing, as it's definitely a stream that didn't need the work, and had some nice spots.

Haven't fished in Lodi for quite a while...that was a place where I cut my teeth in fly fishing and learning how trout operate.

I've read about streams that feed into the Baraboo River, but don't know much about them. Years ago in May I caught some very nice smallmouth out of the Baraboo.
zachisageek  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:01:01 PM(UTC)
zachisageek

A few weeks ago I hit up Spring Creek in Lodi just north of town at the public access easement land on Hwy J. I had a fish splash in front of me in the first half hour, but that was it with the high water & chocolate milk visibility. It might be better when it's clearer.

That afternoon I moved up to Baxter's Hollow, which is on the other side of Hwy 12 from Devil's Lake, just to the west. I fished a few more hours there, and saw at least one rise on a bigger pool. That area is totally worth checking out just for the scenery.
UserPostedImage