Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lights  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 8:59:38 AM(UTC)
Lights

I made it out Sunday fishing. I started on Lost Creek. Seen some nice fish but in areas that I could not cast to. They were all under bridges that where only 3 feet or less off the water.ots of nice looking rings elsewhere but no fish to be had.

Hit the Rush south of El Paso a couple of miles. Lots of change in that section since the last time I was there 10 years ago. Nice runs, rock bottom, with great structure but no fish???? What is going on on the Rush? It used to be my go to stream. There was a hatch of tiny mayflies and a batch of Caddis coming off and no rises????

Finished the day on a good note on the Trimbelle catching them on Elk hair caddis.
Sponsor
HuggyBear  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 9:21:36 AM(UTC)
HuggyBear

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Lights wrote:
I made it out Sunday fishing. I started on Lost Creek. Seen some nice fish but in areas that I could not cast to. They were all under bridges that where only 3 feet or less off the water.ots of nice looking rings elsewhere but no fish to be had.

Hit the Rush south of El Paso a couple of miles. Lots of change in that section since the last time I was there 10 years ago. Nice runs, rock bottom, with great structure but no fish???? What is going on on the Rush? It used to be my go to stream. There was a hatch of tiny mayflies and a batch of Caddis coming off and no rises????

Finished the day on a good note on the Trimbelle catching them on Elk hair caddis.

Excatly. WTF is going on with the Rush? Numbers are waaayyyy down.
kinni  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 9:35:10 AM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've only been on the Rush one time so far this spring and I caught a few, but my father-in-law has been there more and has had very poor luck as most have been saying. Not real sure what the deal is there and on the Kinni this year. Lots of speculation going around. Hope things turn around...
brun0306  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 10:03:45 AM(UTC)
brun0306

I've been on the rush twice and lower kinni twice this year for a grand total of one fish. Population is definitely way down from last year, will be interesting to see if the cause can be determined. It should be noted that I'm not a great trout fisherman, but I should be better than one fish every four outings.

On the plus side, I went to SE Minnesota on Saturday and did well, the trout population seems fine in that area.

Edited by user Monday, April 27, 2015 10:09:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DanE  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 10:03:56 AM(UTC)
DanE

The fish must've heard about the upcoming troutstock, and are preparing accordingly?Confused Laugh

In all seriousness though, I hope the DNR can determine what is going on.
TheDancingMan  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 1:16:41 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Seriously? I was on the Rush this past saturday and brought about twenty fish to hand. The black caddis were on and the trout were taking everything.

Edited by user Monday, April 27, 2015 1:19:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rschmidt  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 3:14:21 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Have had almost no action on r or k. Don't fish there anymore. R
ZP6  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 3:32:20 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

I was out opening morning to my favorite spot on the Rush this year without a single bite. I just chalked it up to early season and weather. Hope things turn around for both rivers soon.
NBrevitz  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 3:39:50 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Numbers are down, but the streams should come around. Tribs to both systems have produced plenty of fish for me the past couple of years. Keep in mind that Brown Trout don't do as well in the colder winters as Brookies do. Brook Trout evolved in glacial streams. Browns evolved to survive the larger, warmer streams of Europe. Their native range once spread to N Africa.
I think the past 3 winters, all of which have had stretches of brutal conditions, have taken a toll on the Browns.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
taion  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 3:50:14 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

I fish the Rush almost exclusively, been out 10 times on different sections and I am just not seeing the fish I did last year.
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.