Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:56:58 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

I got out for the third and final time of the "early" season on Sunday. Two of those days have been bright, bluebird skies--not necessarily ideal conditions. The last trip the fish were cooperative; this trip they required some coercion.

I got a late start--again. Set my alarm for 3:45 and woke up at 5:15. I parked my truck at the DNR access point just before 8 and didn't wet a fly until 8:30. This particular location necessitated a half-mile hike downstream before fishing back up.

UserPostedImage
Cloudless skies, but at least the wind was cooperative.

The water was clear, so I tried to stay as far downstream and on the shadowed side of the stream whenever possible. Despite my best efforts I still managed to spook a few of the better fish-holding locations without hooking up. One less obvious, mid-stream run held a pod of 20 or more fish, some of which looked larger than anything I'd bring to hand all day. Unfortunately, I only discovered them when I came trouncing through unaware--scattering fish in every direction.

I had it in my head that given the clear water and sunny conditions my only hope was drifting small nymphs. Six or seven different presentations later I had burned through all of my reliable flies and used up five of my seven available hours with only a few willing takers.

UserPostedImage

I did have one serendipitous moment where the best cast of the day landed the best fish of the day. I approached the run pictured below from the correct side of the stream with a low profile. I needed to get my nymph and indicator into the upper portion of the run in order for my bead-headed nymph to get to fishable depth by the time I drifted by the prime location near the rip rap.

UserPostedImage

After a couple misses, I managed to land my presentation on target and quickly throw out a loop of mend over that emergent silt mound. The result was a picturesque drag-free drift that brought this 12 inch brown to net.

UserPostedImage

That was one of only four fish caught in the first five hours. With an hour and change left to fish before my long drive home I switched over to a size 10 black-crystal woolly bugger. To my pleasure, I then proceeded to triple my total catch before hanging it up for the day. I also had several fish swing and miss while stripping it through faster water. It turns out that's what they wanted--and I was kicking myself for not trying it earlier, but happy that I managed to solve the puzzle, finally.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

None of the fish broke the 12 inch mark, but it was a nice end to the day. A little vindication for my efforts. Until next time.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
kinni  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:03:24 AM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Great report and photos! Congrats on ending the early season on a high note!
PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:41:48 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

kinni wrote:
Great report and photos! Congrats on ending the early season on a high note!

Thanks! It has been an interesting spring. I'm flipping through my calendar and realizing that between being out of town, seven different weddings (including my own) and miscellaneous other weekend obligations I have exactly three weekends to fish between now and August. Sad That's less than ideal...
cschub13  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:45:26 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

PrettyFlyWIGuy wrote:
Thanks! It has been an interesting spring. I'm flipping through my calendar and realizing that between being out of town, seven different weddings (including my own) and miscellaneous other weekend obligations I have exactly three weekends to fish between now and August. Sad That's less than ideal...

Nice report. Sounds like you need to get some days off work this summer! Laugh
PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2015 7:37:35 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

cschub13 wrote:
PrettyFlyWIGuy wrote:

Nice report. Sounds like you need to get some days off work this summer! Laugh

I know right?? Although the honeymoon is claiming most of my vacation allotment. My best bet is to duck out of the office (in Madison) early and hit the Dane county streams for 2-3hrs after work. I'm going to start keeping my gear in my truck at all times, that's where it belongs anyways!