Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 8:41:56 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 49 post(s)

Beautiful place. Water was low and eutrophic. Far fewer numbers than last year, but there were some nice fish. 17&16" browns, 15.5" Brook.

R

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by moderator Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:14:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
p1.jpg (1,729kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
p2.jpg (1,823kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
p4.jpg (2,502kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
Opener 2015.jpg (1,600kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:34:49 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 145 post(s)
Nice fish! Pretty stream.

You need a bigger net. Smile

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
RippinLips87  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:13:07 AM(UTC)
RippinLips87

Man

It bums me out seeing nice fish like those eaten. Sad Especially, since there are far fewer numbers in that creek like you stated.
Fish 'til you swim with them
“Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once.” ~Lee Wulff
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:17:19 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 55 post(s)
RippinLips87 wrote:
It bums me out seeing nice fish like those eaten. Sad Especially, since there are far fewer numbers in that creek like you stated.

I have to agree. Beautiful fish and scenery, but please don't keep Brookies like thatCrying
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
shebs  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:31:25 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 46 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
RippinLips87 wrote:

I have to agree. Beautiful fish and scenery, but please don't keep Brookies like thatCrying

Don't worry guys, that's a stocker brookie. Ron told me he figured it was a carryover from last years brooders - Bear Creek receives a good number of adult/brooders each year.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:18:45 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

shebs wrote:
NBrevitz wrote:
RippinLips87 wrote:

Don't worry guys, that's a stocker brookie. Ron told me he figured it was a carryover from last years brooders - Bear Creek receives a good number of adult/brooders each year.

Oh, that's very different... Carry onThumpUp
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Mark Dahlquist  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 11:17:19 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
People can keep their legal limit every time they go out. Nobody should question that, let alone opening weekend. Just saying.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
TreArrow  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:23:17 PM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Stocked or wild a 15" brookie or a 20" brown is the sort of fish most anglers only dream of catching. Sure everyone may legally do as they please if they follow the regulations, (which doesn't include keeping fish every time, if that means exceeding the possession limit) but at some point its worth taking a step back and considering just how few fish of that size swim in some of our streams.

I like eating trout almost as much as I like catching them, and regularly keep a limit of fish, but for me personally, I think its also important to release fish of quality size, especially brookies. Others may disagree, this is just how I see it.

For the record Bear got yearlings in 2014, and broodstock this year. Your mileage and ethics may vary.
NBrevitz  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:26:53 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Mark Dahlquist wrote:
People can keep their legal limit every time they go out. Nobody should question that, let alone opening weekend. Just saying.

Absolutely. Did just that last night.
rschmidt  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:59:06 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Well, I do eat me some trout Woot

I keep and eat about 30 fish a year. Usually switch to C&R after 4th of July.

With the video camera I let anything 20" and over go if in good health. Perhaps a brook at 16" should be a similar rule?

That brook was definitely stocked, not so sure it was a broodstock as it was in pretty good shape. It looked to me like a two year old stocked yearling.

Either way, I do keep meticulously legal and try to be a good steward of the resource, but eating a few fish is a big part of fishing for me.

Also better than throwing em back with work hooks in the gullet and line out the mouth. Caught two of those types of smaller fish that were doomed. Also saw quite a few fish in early season belly up from being caught. Land 'em quick, wet hands and get 'em in the creel or back in the water.

My .02$

R