Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TreArrow  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 2:10:44 PM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

rschmidt, I think our ethics are similar. My threshold may be smaller because I fish streams with smaller fish, or simply fail to catch the number of quality fish that you do. No offense intended. Its really easy to judge an angler from a photo of their catch without knowing the stream or the fisherman. Also agreed that catch and release is not without mortality. I saw 2 beautiful steelhead dead in a pool this spring that someone probably caught and released but didn't quite make it.
donjuan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 2:55:29 PM(UTC)
donjuan

rschmidt wrote:

Also better than throwing em back with work hooks in the gullet and line out the mouth. Caught two of those types of smaller fish that were doomed. Also saw quite a few fish in early season belly up from being caught.

x2. I release all of the bigger fish I catch except when they are in bad shape with questionable chance of survival if released. In my opinion, far worse to waste that fish by attempting release than admit to yourself it has a poor chance of making it and put it to good use by taking it home.
HookJaw  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:10:37 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Mark Dahlquist wrote:
People can keep their legal limit every time they go out. Nobody should question that, let alone opening weekend. Just saying.

This quote is in the Bible somewhere, I think.

At least it's in my copy.

Selective harvest is smart. Dogging people for keeping 3 fish on the opener is douchey.

Just wait til the new WI Regs come out in '16. The C&R-only elitists are gonna go off the deep end (see West Fork!).

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
DanE  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:46:38 AM(UTC)
DanE

HookJaw wrote:
Mark Dahlquist wrote:
People can keep their legal limit every time they go out. Nobody should question that, let alone opening weekend. Just saying.

This quote is in the Bible somewhere, I think.

At least it's in my copy.

Selective harvest is smart. Dogging people for keeping 3 fish on the opener is douchey.

Just wait til the new WI Regs come out in '16. The C&R-only elitists are gonna go off the deep end (see West Fork!).

LOL LOL I especially enjoyed the douchey part.
s.t.fanatic  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:03:16 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Carry on R no harm done. Talk to any fisheries guy off the record. They will tell you that catch and release and slot limits do nothing to the size structure of a stream except for POSSIBLY bring the size structure down. Keeping some fish each year (no matter what the size is) is a major part of fishing. That portion of our fishing heritage is being lost. There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a few larger fish as long as it is done RESPONSIBLY. Anybody complaining about there not being enough larger trout to go around needs to stop fishing in the state parks and more pressured areas for one and put more time in on the water.
timberland  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:24:25 AM(UTC)
timberland

I too keep fish to eat, personally because my family don't like the taste of them, and so a few small ones are enough. So I keep some badly hooked ones no matter the size. I do try to release the "special" fish: from a secret hole, ones that took a lot to fool, and Big ones that put up a battle. And I am not "Brooder Prejudice", they are special fish too, they just grew up in an alternative lifestyle. And many were wild fish at one time. They all get respect.
RippinLips87  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:50:52 AM(UTC)
RippinLips87

Man

"The true sportsman needs neither game laws nor bag limits, nor does the securing of a license make a sportsman. He must be moderate in his kill, find part of the pleasure in being afield, and in observing the lives of the denizens of the streams and wood. Many of our best days are those in which a large catch was not made." ~"Uncle" Lloyd Taylor
Fish 'til you swim with them
“Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once.” ~Lee Wulff
EddieRivard  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:26:39 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Let's keep conversations about catch and release to a minimum here folks. That stuff is for Facebook and other sites. I don't want to have to pull out my moderation stick.
DanE  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:36:16 AM(UTC)
DanE

EddieRivard wrote:
Let's keep conversations about catch and release to a minimum here folks. That stuff is for Facebook and other sites. I don't want to have to pull out my moderation stick.

I agree 100%. ThumpUp