Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Kid friendly spots Options
Greylin
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2015 3:38:28 PM

This weekend I'll be bringing my 8 year old son down to the Driftless for his first time trout fishing. I've got a couple of spots that I can take him to where he should be able to catch a good number of brookies to keep him occupied/interested. I'm just wondering if any of you know of other fairly easy to get to spots that might have more quantity versus sizeable fish. We'll probably be looking at Vernon, Richland or Crawford counties.

Also thinking about taking him to the Blue Goose for pizza and ice cream. I just worry that he'll get bored and not express the same interest in fishing as he does with video games.
I live in a van down by the river.
spreebee
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2015 3:41:44 PM

I'm planning a late summer trip for my son and I as well, so I would be interested in hearing any suggestions as well.
DanE
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2015 4:16:25 PM

Having a 12 year old, I have gone through some of this the past couple of years. A couple questions and comments.

1) Will you be wading at all or strictly bank fishing? Obviously easements or public land will be a limiting factor if you won't be wading. For this weekend for the original post high weeds won't be an issue, but will factor in later in the year for others. Also if wading, streambed conditions need to be considered. Creeks with a lot of muck bottom is a pain for an adult, but can make it miserable to unfishable for a kid that age.

2) Public land/easements with easy access and fishability which are great for kids, typically will not fish as well due to higher pressure. Those with tougher access or off the beaten path will fish better, but may not be as friendly for kids. That said, a couple years back my son and I had a great Sunday morning on Camp Creek. Pretty heavily fished pasture section, but we did well on numbers. As with any spot like that, getting there early is a must, and you will likely get cut off or hole hopped at some point. That day we were there shortly after sunrise and had a couple hours of solitude.

3) Exactly what do you mean by "easy" access? Is a 20 - 30 minute hike in on trails to get away from the crowds easy, or is that a bit much?

4)If you can give a little more info, hopefully others will chime in and/or send you a PM.
Greylin
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2015 4:37:40 PM

I think he'd be ok fishing from the stream or the bank as long as like you mentioned it's not a mucky bottom. Not too worried about walking as he has what seems like limitless energy. Would like to avoid crowds as much as possible. I know a few spots on the W Fork of the Kickapoo that are easy to get too and usually quiet. I don't care if it's public or private as long as there's a point/bridge to legally access the stream initially.
William Schlafer
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2015 4:55:46 PM

From what others have told me, Camp Creek (Vernon County) is kid friendly - but is heavily fished. Stream bank easements and access from a park and a bridge. Easy to walk and fish. Downstream from the bridge is pasture. Good numbers, but not too many bigs - so the pros usually don't bother with it. Town of Viola (with handy convenience store) just a minute down the road.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
trapper
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2015 5:22:29 PM

William Schlafer wrote:
From what others have told me, Camp Creek (Vernon County) is kid friendly - but is heavily fished. Stream bank easements and access from a park and a bridge. Easy to walk and fish. Downstream from the bridge is pasture. Good numbers, but not too many bigs - so the pros usually don't bother with it. Town of Viola (with handy convenience store) just a minute down the road.

-Bill

Camp creek is in Richland Cty
Get Reel

Cmac
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2015 5:28:50 PM

You might want to check out Duck Egg Forest, just west of Viroqua. It's a short drive out of town and the Springville Branch of the Bad Axe River flows right through the park....http://www.vernoncounty.org/parks/DE.htm
It's a very large area, and if you walk down the mowed/maintained horse trails, you'll leave most others behind, and have wonderful fishing. It's full of improvements & trout, along with woods, cliffs and assorted vistas. It's in one of the steepest valleys I've seen in the Driftless. I usually walk down the trails far enough to have crossed the creek twice before I start fishing. I usually don't see anyone else, and I fish upstream as far as I want. Then it's an easy walk back on the maintained trails.
DanE
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2015 5:48:50 PM

PM sent.ThumpUp
Greylin
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:47:16 PM

Although belated by just over a year, thanks for the tips. I will be bringing my son down this weekend for his second time fishing in the DA and will be checking out some of the spots mentioned and a few others.

Last year we hit up multiple streams in the couple days we were there and my son was a trooper and never complained about walking. It was awesome just sitting back and watching him catch brookie after brokkie at some of the pools we stopped at.

After fishing all day we stopped at Blue Goose for some pizza and ice cream and the next day we stopped at Daves in Viroqua, which was even bigger treat for my Dad and I with the awesome selection of beers.

If you have any additional kid friendly areas and are willing to share them that would be great. If not...no biggie. I'm just looking to expand the possibilty of hitting a locaation with numbers as opposed to size just in case he gets bored.
newflyguy920
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2016 12:14:50 PM

i am also looking for kids friendly spots my son is 7 and am looking for something he can fish for trout and catch and have fun to keep away from tv. i dunnoo what would be easy around waupaca shawano oconto county areas. any help would be kool.