Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TreArrow  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:49:26 PM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Anglers spend a lot of time outdoors and are likely to encounter a variety of wildlife other than fish. Reporting turtle sightings to the DNR helps the dept prioritize conservation efforts. Trout streams make great habitat for many other species besides trout, so if you see some turtles, consider taking a moment out of your day to report the sighting.

http://wiatri.net/Inventory/WiTurtles/index.cfm

Wood turtles are a threatened species in WI that anglers are especially likely to encounter as they typically nest along trout streams. Blandings turtles are even rarer and like a mix of prairie and wetlands that often is adjacent to good trout habitat. Even one or two observations can be a big help in tipping the DNR off to the whereabouts of these rare species. So if you see a turtle while out fishing, consider snapping a photo and sending it in.
RJ23  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 8:54:23 AM(UTC)
RJ23

Spotted a wood turtle on the South Fork of the Bad Axe. Sent in the info and got a response right away. Hope it helps.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, May 7, 2015 8:55:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TreArrow  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:06:50 AM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Cool! Nice photoThumpUp
TheDancingMan  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 11:40:50 AM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Turtle season is starting. Make sure when you're out on the stream to look for Blanding's Turtles, Wood turtles or any rare species I missed. If you don't think it's important, I submitted a picture of a Blanding's turtle I saw on a Pierce County Stream in 2015. Turns out, I was the first person to ever document one of these turtles in Pierce County. Just today a DNR employee contacted me about it and my sighting will be used in an upcoming book "Amphibians and Reptiles of Wisconsin" to reflect a more accurate range for Blanding's turtles.

Keep your eyes open!

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, April 21, 2017 11:45:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ilikefood  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 7:41:06 PM(UTC)
ilikefood

Thanks for reminding me. If I find any rare turtles, I'll report it to the DNR. Do you have a photo of the Blanding's turtle you saw in Pierce county?
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).