Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrianZ  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:26:17 AM(UTC)
BrianZ

Brian here from Shoreview MN. Been Trout fishing now for several years. Mostly in Red Wing MN, Elba MN and River Falls WI. Hoping to find some new places close to the metro area. Any suggestions? Planning on hitting the Rush River this weekend. Got my first try at Trout fishing in Elba MN several years ago and have been at it since. It's become an addiction.
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:38:25 AM(UTC)
DanE

Welcome Brian!

I am of no help up there, but there are quite a few that should be able to point you in the right direction.
TreArrow  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:48:08 AM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Are you looking for things closer than the Rush? or just some new water withing an hour or two of the metro?
I assume you know about the "secret" streams like the Kinni and Hay Creek.
shebs  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:53:31 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Gets addicting quick, doesn't it? Flapper

Welcome to the mad house.

My advice is to just start checking out all the streams you can set foot in. The further you drive from the metro the more likely you are to find unoccupied water, but sometimes it's a crapshoot, and the busier streams are sometimes the best ones (hence why they're busy). I find that when people say fish "stream X but skip stream Y," Y is probably not as bad at they say it is, but stream Z is even better (which is why they don't even mention it).

Do you fly fish or spin fish? I find that makes a big difference on which streams guys prefer, all other things being equal.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
BrianZ  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:45:45 AM(UTC)
BrianZ

shebs wrote:
Do you fly fish or spin fish? I find that makes a big difference on which streams guys prefer, all other things being equal.

Shebs, I typically spin fish. I have a fly rod but have only used it a few times but I would like to get good at it.
BrianZ  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:49:41 AM(UTC)
BrianZ

TreArrow wrote:
Are you looking for things closer than the Rush? or just some new water withing an hour or two of the metro?

TreArrow, I'm looking for places within an hour or 2 from the metro. I know all about the Kinni and Hay Creek. Go to those places several times a year. Just looking for something new. I'll be on the Whitewater River in Elba over Memorial weekend. Would like to catch some nice size Brook Trout. Do you know anything about Valley Creek in Afton? It's supposed to be just loaded with Trout. Brown, Brook and Rainbows to be had. But access to it is very limited and the landowners can be downright nasty. I walked it for a little while a few weeks before opener and seen someone had a camera trap on a tree right where he has a foot bridge going over the stream. Probably trying to scare people away.
shebs  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:16:50 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 40 post(s)
If you search through the old threads, Valley Creek landowners have been a subject of much discussion Razz
I still haven't fished it, because I just don't wanna deal with their crap when I'm fishing. I'd rather have to bridge hop for an open spot on Kinni/Rush, or drive an hour further in ANY direction, than deal with that.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
trapper  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:47:02 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 33 post(s)
BrianZ;
If you attend Troutstock 2015, you may get plenty of intel from some of the best anglers in your area.ThumpUp
Just sayin..
Get Reel
TreArrow  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 5:11:45 PM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

BrianZ wrote:
TreArrow wrote:

TreArrow, I'm looking for places within an hour or 2 from the metro. I know all about the Kinni and Hay Creek. Go to those places several times a year. Just looking for something new. I'll be on the Whitewater River in Elba over Memorial weekend. Would like to catch some nice size Brook Trout. Do you know anything about Valley Creek in Afton? It's supposed to be just loaded with Trout. Brown, Brook and Rainbows to be had. But access to it is very limited and the landowners can be downright nasty. I walked it for a little while a few weeks before opener and seen someone had a camera trap on a tree right where he has a foot bridge going over the stream. Probably trying to scare people away.

Yep I've never bothered with it, search Rainbow creek on this forum for all that you need to know about the stream and its landowners. I'll send you a pm with a few recommendations.
NBrevitz  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:29:05 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I love that stream but I'm going less and less with all the Landowner BS. As Mark has always told me, drive 10 minutes further and you have many more options
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."