Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:16:12 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

I got out for a full day on Sunday on a new stream in Vernon County. It was a long hike in down the face of a bluff, but it was well worth it.

Some really nice looking water.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Fish were fairly cooperative, around 25 fish to hand for the day. No one pattern proved any more effective than any other, but I caught fish on streamers as well as a varieties of nymphs and dries.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Bugs were plentiful! Scuds and caddis cases were found in good numbers under every rock.

UserPostedImage

I also saw a couple straggler caddis actually hatching, but the real story of the day was the massive midge hatch that occurred around 3:00 (right at the end of the day.) The fish went INSANE. I stopped at one pools on my way back to the truck where I marveled in the spectacle. I'm sure I witnessed hundreds of rises at that hole. At times the trout were leaping all of the way out of the water to catch midges that were making their getaway. Given all of that, I only pulled three fish out of that hole in about a half an hour of fishing. The best I could do to match-the-hatch was a light colored adams, size 16. The size was appropriate for the bugs I could see, but the fish were rarely fooled by the profile of the fly I guess..

What flies do you guys use to replicate midges on top?
Sponsor
Cmac  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:36:18 AM(UTC)
Cmac

Griffiths gnat
DanE  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:43:27 AM(UTC)
DanE

I almost always throw a tandem rig. Usually a Griffiths gnat or a parachute midge up front with a parasol midge trailer. Once in a great while I will use a Griffiths gnat with a midge nymph if they are not rising well.
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:47:40 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 120 post(s)
PrettyFlyWIGuy wrote:

I also saw a couple straggler caddis actually hatching, but the real story of the day was the massive midge hatch that occurred around 3:00 (right at the end of the day.) The fish went INSANE. I stopped at one pools on my way back to the truck where I marveled in the spectacle. I'm sure I witnessed hundreds of rises at that hole. At times the trout were leaping all of the way out of the water to catch midges that were making their getaway. Given all of that, I only pulled three fish out of that hole in about a half an hour of fishing. The best I could do to match-the-hatch was a light colored adams, size 16. The size was appropriate for the bugs I could see, but the fish were rarely fooled by the profile of the fly I guess..

What flies do you guys use to replicate midges on top?

Midge hatches are really frustrating. I've witnessed several. There's a million of the little buggers in the water, so anything you add to that mix is generally lost in the mix by sheer numbers. Anything of a different size or pattern is generally ignored because the Trout are keyed in on the tiny midge larvae.

That said, I have had some success with Griffiths Gnats. When risers ignore everything else I throw at them, Griffiths Gnats usually works. Darker bodies with contrasting lighter hackle (like the photo) are effective.
UserPostedImage

It's also works great when floated through riffles. Looks like a cluster of emerging flies to Trout. Make sure to use plenty of floatant to make it sit up on the film and dimple the water.

Super easy pattern to tie.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Dullyouth  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:41:44 PM(UTC)
Dullyouth

Hey buddy I saw your post on reddit.
moosekid  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:07:23 PM(UTC)
moosekid

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
A box of dries without a Griffith's Gnat is like a box of streamers without a Wooly Bugger.

My go-to dry is the Drowning Midge.

My go-to nymph is Al's Rat.

Fishing Al's Rat in the film is fucking deadly.

Both are easy to tie, I would add some to your box.

PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:48:54 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

Dullyouth wrote:

Nice! I mean....you know too much! lol..

I really like the flyfishing subreddit there. I always try to point people back to this site when they express interest. It's surprising how many people say "I fly fish and I live in the area, I should really see what this 'Driftless' thing is all about".
PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:50:53 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

moosekid wrote:
A box of dries without a Griffith's Gnat is like a box of streamers without a Wooly Bugger.

My go-to dry is the Drowning Midge.

My go-to nymph is Al's Rat.

Fishing Al's Rat in the film is fucking deadly.

Both are easy to tie, I would add some to your box.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't waded into the dark waters of fly tying yet, but I'll be sure to hunt something similar down for my next fly purchase.

This was the first time I looked in my dry fly box and came up short...I've never seen midges hatch with that density.
Dullyouth  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 6:32:07 AM(UTC)
Dullyouth

PrettyFlyWIGuy wrote:
Dullyouth wrote:

Nice! I mean....you know too much! lol..

I really like the flyfishing subreddit there. I always try to point people back to this site when they express interest. It's surprising how many people say "I fly fish and I live in the area, I should really see what this 'Driftless' thing is all about".

That or people are like "I've lived here my whole life!? There are trout in Wisconsin??!"
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 6:35:49 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 120 post(s)
You would be surprised at the number of people I meet - many who live right in the heart of the Driftless Area - and have no clue that it's a major Trout fishing destination.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos