Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Skimmer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:35:10 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looking to add a 4wt 7.6ft Redington ButterStick to the line up or a St.Croix Avid 4wt 8ft. I like the length of the St Croix better but am liking the idea of Glass so I'm leaning towards the Redington. Also want to ad an 8wt to the quiver for Pike/bass/steelhead...looking to stay on the cheap side of things so well probably get a Redington Crosswater. I currently fish a St.Croix Imperial 3wt 7ft for trout and absolutely love it. For bigger fish am using a Cabelas Wind River 6wt...not a huge fan of it but it works. I work in outdoor retail and get pretty solid deals on StCroix, Redington, and Fenwick so I'm obviously leaving towards one of those. Does anyone have experience with any of these? Is there anything else I should be considering?

Edited by user Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:36:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
turbomike15  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:18:04 PM(UTC)
turbomike15

Skimmer wrote:
Looking to add a 4wt 7.6ft Redington ButterStick to the line up or a St.Croix Avid 4wt 8ft. I like the length of the St Croix better but am liking the idea of Glass so I'm leaning towards the Redington. Also want to ad an 8wt to the quiver for Pike/bass/steelhead...looking to stay on the cheap side of things so well probably get a Redington Crosswater. I currently fish a St.Croix Imperial 3wt 7ft for trout and absolutely love it. For bigger fish am using a Cabelas Wind River 6wt...not a huge fan of it but it works. I work in outdoor retail and get pretty solid deals on StCroix, Redington, and Fenwick so I'm obviously leaving towards one of those. Does anyone have experience with any of these? Is there anything else I should be considering?

I have a St Croix Imperial 9" 8wt for steelhead/pike/bass/musky. Its not a great rod for any of those tasks, but gets the job done for all of them. I have since purchased 2 dedicated steelhead rods for more specific presentations (2 handers). I want a 10 wt for dedicated musky/pike business. In terms of adding rods to your quiver, I find I fish my 9' 5wt 85% of the time when fishing for trout (I also have a 3 wt (7'6") and a 4 wt (8'6")). I would recommend getting an 8 wt over a 4 wt, but I like big water and big fish. I read a lot of good things about the Redington sticks when I was shopping for 2-handers, but never casted one. Let us know what you go with!
Skimmer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 1:04:11 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

I will be getting 2 new sticks. Most of the water I fish is fairly narrow so casting a 9ft trout rod is almost out of the question. On trips to the driftless I found myself undergunned in the casting department, wishing I could get another 10ft.
EddieRivard  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 5:49:33 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have a St. Croix Avid 7 weight that is one of my favorite rods. The action is not too fast or slow. The action is just right.
fish4life  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 8:29:19 AM(UTC)
fish4life

I love my Ibis 576-4 5 weight 7'6" 4 piece for the Driftless Area and also have the 4 weight. They are great rods. I like the 5 better as I throw a lot of double fly rigs.

Edited by moderator Wednesday, May 27, 2015 8:39:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

>>~}}}}}}'>
Skimmer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:56:32 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Just transferred in a crosswater 9wt and the butter stick 4wt from a bigger store out east. I played with a few other rods at cabelas and the Milwaukee fly fishers shop but ultimately decided these would fit my needs at the right price. Looking forward to getting a reel and line for these and getting them in the water. The 4wt should be a blast on my summer trip to Idaho in August.
Michigan Gone Wild  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:19:55 PM(UTC)
Michigan Gone Wild

Check out Temple Fork Outfitters great rods at a reasonable price!
kschaefer3  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2015 1:54:17 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Michigan Gone Wild wrote:
Check out Temple Fork Outfitters great rods at a reasonable price!

Late to this game, but full disclosure (not from the poster obviously) that "Michigan Gone Wild" is affiliated TFO. Not saying they are not good rods, but it seems like an important thing to note.
EddieRivard  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2015 8:28:21 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Thanks for having the courage to bring this issue to light Kyle. Part of my job as board moderator is to review posts and decide if they are honest opinions or spam. While we welcome Michigan Gone Wild's opinions on various topics he should have disclosed his affiliation with TFO before promoting them on our forum. DTA was created by a Driftless Trout angler for Driftless Trout anglers.

The path of the righteous fisherman is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil fishermen. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valleys of the Driftless, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the fisher of Brown Trout. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance as a furious angler those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Board Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ThumpUp

Edited by user Monday, August 31, 2015 8:32:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

donjuan  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2015 9:12:23 PM(UTC)
donjuan

BAD
MOTHER
FISHER