Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GreatPyrs  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:07:18 AM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Got tofinally get out on Memorial day weekend Saturday and then returned last Thursday to give it a go again. The idea was to return to the same area after some much needed moisturre had passed through and observe different conditions, bugwise , troutwise, and practice my own change ups. Saturday , my buddy and I had the area to ourselves whereas Thursday saw a few more anglers than I have ever seem - but all good. I hit Sixmile early both days and was soon into fish and tangles in my leaders that made me rethink various laws of Physics! Good cool water for sure!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I worked Streamers a bit early , and then was into Nymphd ans Scuds on into Big Spring. Brown and Brookies were the fare - nice to get a few of each on such bright days.....

UserPostedImage

There was some Hippie Stomper action and Dries for a bit on Saturday as clouds rolled about , but not much Thursday as I battled hot temps and clear skies.., such is the life of us suburban anglers at times....

UserPostedImage

Bit of scenery as well...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Both days ended up high on Big Spring throwing for Brookies, I managed some smallguys with a few big splashes late afternoon, here's one nice trout residence where I found no one home , but wil be back....

UserPostedImage

So as to vision on fishing different days. It was nicer to fish some recharged water and there were definitely more active trout about. I found my own Rainbow warriors behind a PT to do the trick all day Thursday, and as I mentioned just casting to some of the same digs and really practicing a bit was kinda of eye opening. Allman Bothers - Stand Back was the mantra, making sure to cast from further away!Wink

I did roll some big fish near Lunker Structures and 2 I was never able to land or retrieve once they were under those damn rocks. Kind of a bummer leaving a trout with you hardware, I guess I can only hope that they broke it off and are settling back.....

Thanks for all the posts lately, I was not able to play for awhile busy with family and life. Hope to see you out there.....Heres to the next of days.....ThumpUp

Cheers, Philip

I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:59:57 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Well done Phillip!

Big Springs can be challenging stream to fish. The water is exceptionally clear and the Trout are ultra-spooky. Whenever possible, stay off those high banks. Trout can easily detect large moving shadows on the water or dark profiles against the bright sky. A tactic I employ on that stream is to walk downstream along the stretch I want to fish, making notes of the good spots and places Trout are rising. Then when I walk back, fish those areas from stream level, or from behind tall grass, bushes, or any cover you can find.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
jfinn  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 11:41:43 AM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was out there in March with low clear water and only 1 to hand. But there his Saturday 5-30 and had 15 to hand much better water conditions. Not the easiest place to fish by man I love that stream.