Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 8:16:07 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Any tips or suggestions of streams SW of Viroqua a bit, please let me know.

Interested in the access and interesting spots of those that look to be placed (crow's flight) between DeSoto and Viroqua.

I did a little exploring there in March, and am only making a day trip this time around, so hoping have more of a direct route.

Thanks.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 9:11:25 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Reports I'm hearing are that the Bad Axe system is not producing well this year. Although I caught fish on some of the streams to south of there earlier this spring, and in Crawford county. Better fishing to be had in the Timber Coulee system and streams east of Viroqua.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
trapper  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 5:37:29 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 38 post(s)
madguy30 wrote:

Interested in the access and interesting spots of those that look to be placed (crow's flight) between DeSoto and Viroqua.

I did a little exploring there in March, and am only making a day trip this time around, so hoping have more of a direct route.

Thanks.

Last time I checked a map,Vernon Cty is between Viroqua and Desoto
Get Reel
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 8:26:02 PM(UTC)
madguy30

trapper wrote:
madguy30 wrote:

Thanks.

Last time I checked a map,Vernon Cty is between Viroqua and Desoto

Ha, yeah, sorry...was thinking places around Rush Creek and such. I believe where I checked it out was in Crawford...

The trip may end up being shorter than originally planned, so some staples may be in order.

That's unfortunate about the Bad Axe systems...I think I fished the North Fork and it didn't seem too trout friendly...the south looked OK though. I've actually noticed a few of my 'go-tos' appear less populated than they were even 3 years ago...the streams that seemed to have lot of trout around every bend don't seem to be the same.

William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:18:26 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

madguy30 wrote:

That's unfortunate about the Bad Axe systems...I think I fished the North Fork and it didn't seem too trout friendly...the south looked OK though. I've actually noticed a few of my 'go-tos' appear less populated than they were even 3 years ago...the streams that seemed to have lot of trout around every bend don't seem to be the same.

It seems to be hit and miss this year. Some streams in the DA are definitely off, while others seem to be normal to above average. The last three years have been rough in the region: drought in 2012, floods in 2013 and harsh winters the last two years. I haven't fished Bad Axe this year, so I have no first-hand knowledge. But there's a lot of Trout water in that system, so it's entirely possible that while it could be off on one stream, the next valley over could be hot fishing.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
DanE  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:46:03 AM(UTC)
DanE

William Schlafer wrote:
madguy30 wrote:

It seems to be hit and miss this year. Some streams in the DA are definitely off, while others seem to be normal to above average. The last three years have been rough in the region: drought in 2012, floods in 2013 and harsh winters the last two years. I haven't fished Bad Axe this year, so I have no first-hand knowledge. But there's a lot of Trout water in that system, so it's entirely possible that while it could be off on one stream, the next valley over could be hot fishing.

-Bill

I agree with Bill. It could even be certain sections of a stream are off, while others are still fine. A friend has had 2 really good outings on the North Fork of the Bad Axe on the same section both times. It seems like there is more day to day, hot to cold fishing this year too on some streams.
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 5:05:56 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Update on this...made the trek, and just fished south and near Readstown. One stream had a few trout, and I caught a warmouth sunfish in the same pool as a couple of trout...that was new. Also some decent fish there.

Other stream was Reads Creek. Top part of the stream looked pretty normal, but the sections around and downstream of Cty T were filled in with weeds (can't remember the name), with one feeder stream being completely choked with them.

There was also quite a bit of silt, and the least amount of fish I've ever seen there. It was sad to see...that creek is typically in great shape on all areas, and not hurting for fish.
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:48:39 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

madguy30 wrote:
Update on this...made the trek, and just fished south and near Readstown. One stream had a few trout, and I caught a warmouth sunfish in the same pool as a couple of trout...that was new. Also some decent fish there.

Other stream was Reads Creek. Top part of the stream looked pretty normal, but the sections around and downstream of Cty T were filled in with weeds (can't remember the name), with one feeder stream being completely choked with them.

There was also quite a bit of silt, and the least amount of fish I've ever seen there. It was sad to see...that creek is typically in great shape on all areas, and not hurting for fish.

Someone did some work above Cty Hwy M last year, mostly stream bank armoring I think. I haven't fished it in a couple seasons, but in the past Reads Creek can be pretty hit and miss. Some spots aren't that great, but another 1/4 mile upstream would be much better fishing. The section up by the nursery used to be good Brook Trout water. Like most streams along the Kickapoo, it can flood pretty hard, and it changes character after every flood event.

-Bill
madguy30  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:53:55 AM(UTC)
madguy30

It may be hit or miss (usually isn't for me), but this is the first time I've seen the weed growth like this. Wish I could post pictures...a friend thought it was due to manure runoff. It basically covered up from Cty M to up stream from Cty T.
curtR32  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:11:14 AM(UTC)
curtR32

Man

I fished Reads earlier this year about M and it was pretty disappointing. They embedded giant log/root structures in quite a few of the pools to help the trout with cover. It also helps them be unfishable!

Go to Camp Creek and fish up from G...wow