Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Seabee  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 7:52:25 PM(UTC)
Seabee

Man

I know there was a post earlier on this looking at getting a little better 4 weight I currently have a TFO signature series look to up grade is it worth it to step up to a Winston bIII or a sage at 700$ + or could I get something that decent for less ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I kinda just read some books and me and my 10 year old son just started to fly fish and have success and fun with it. Great way to reconnect with him after a long military deployment.
Sponsor
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:30:00 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

The answer to whether it is worth going to one of the highest end rods is ultimately up to you. Part of it will depend on how proficient of a caster you are. The better the caster, the more you will notice the difference in a better rod. I also wouldn't say that the most expensive rods are arbitrarily the best. Some of the highest end rods I've cast are indeed among my favorites, but others don't feel right.

I cast a lot of 4 wts when I bought a new one this season and settled on the Winston Nexus. I favored the Nexus to the more expensive BIII series of rods. I'm not saying it is a better rod, I just personally liked the feel better, particularly for fishing dries, its intended purpose.

My suggestion would be to decide what about your rod you don't love, or why you want to upgrade. That should help narrow the field. Then go cast as many as possible. Any shop or Cabela's will let you test drive a rod in the parking lot. If you want my suggestions for a 4 wt Winston Nexus (yes, I'm biased) or a St. Croix Legend Elite. To be fair I haven't cast the Legend Elite in a 4 wt, but if the action is the same as the 5 wt, it would be a great 4 wt. You might also consider a used rod. Eddie has a 4 wt Sage ZXL that is an incredible older model Sage. You could also look for other older model rods (Sage LL, Winston WT come to mind) on ebay or the like.

I hope some of our more "rod knowledgeable" board members chime in...MNFishHunter, I'm look at you...

EDIT: As I think more, the Sage VXPs have been sold at a steep discount since they were discontinued. They are nice rods at a great discounted price. Echo 3 is a nice casting rod in the mid price range. Hardy Zenith is really nice, pushing towards the top of the price band, but not quite as much as the top dollar Sage, Winston, Orvis. The Orvis Recon has gotten great reviews. I have a 9 ft 5 wt Sage RP I would sell to you for $100.

Edited by user Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:39:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rusty Shanks  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:00:38 PM(UTC)
Rusty Shanks

If you want bang for your buck, a St. Croix Imperial will not disappoint you. They consistently get high reviews for value for the money. My go to trout rods are either a 8' or 9' 4wt. Imperial.
Rusty

i
Seabee  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:41:23 PM(UTC)
Seabee

Man

Thank you for the info it's a big investment and I do not want to buy some thing I won't like in your opinion rusty do you think I will notice a difference from a imperial st croix compared to my TFO?
Seabee  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:45:18 PM(UTC)
Seabee

Man

Do guys put much trust in the yellow stone anglers rod shoot outs is that a good resource ?
kschaefer3  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 6:22:29 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I don't pay much attention to the shootouts. They are spot on for some rods, way off for others, in my opinion. The shootout is just the opinions of a few guys at a shop out west though, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. They give you a general idea of rod attributes though.

Rusty makes a good point on the Imperial. They are a great rod for $220 (or whatever they cost now). I have been eyeing one as a backup for quite some time now.
mbchilton  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 7:12:54 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You could get a used b2x for under $400. I love my 8' #4.
Jared  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 7:24:20 AM(UTC)
Jared

Seabee wrote:
Do guys put much trust in the yellow stone anglers rod shoot outs is that a good resource ?

I think the shootouts are interesting to read, but like Kyle said, just opinions. And I think the opinions for what's a great rod out west are not the same here, I don't know anyone who's bombing 80 foot casts in the driftless (for trout anyway) and that always seems to be something they're really concerned about a rod being able to do. Speaking of the 5 weight shootout here of course, not the 8wt.
"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
FryinPanDan  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 9:28:10 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

I got a 4wt St Croix Imperial earlier this year and have been quite happy with it. I think I've been casting further when necessary and with more accuracy since upgrading from an echo carbon. I've received compliments from both Trapper and Eddie, so there is little doubt that this is true. Its a fast rod, if you're into that. I also have a 7wt of the same model. Great for warm water species.
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
Skimmer  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 10:16:40 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have the Imperial 3wt and love it! Almost bought the 4wt about a month ago for some more distance, but decided to buy a fiberglass rod instead for more variety.