Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 12:30:51 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I learned to trout fish on the Deerskin as a kid in the early 80s. Simply gorgeous up there.

Took my son this past summer for the first time and also the first time I've been back there since the mid 80s. Went upstream from the canoe landing.

Where the road ends several hundred yards past the landing, there used to be a wooden one lane bridge that crossed to a hunting lodge. The bridge carved 5 foot deep holes that we used to jump into after sunning on it - when we weren't going upstream to trout fish, we hung out at that bridge.

Anyway, 30 years later, the bridge is completely gone and the water is about 18 inches deep. Rivers are incredible beasts.

This summer, caught a few moderate sized brookies on Panther Martins. Same as back in the day.

Also fished a couple spots further upstream and more of the same small brookies. Didn't mind as just getting to be there was a treat.

Still have never caught a brownie on the Deerskin, but have never fished downstream from the landing except from a canoe and then only caught pike - one notable was a 27 incher on a Panther Martin and 4lb test. Hooked him in the side of his mouth.

Can't wait to hit it again next summer. Can't believe it took me this long to go back considering my parents still live up there and I visit every year.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
HookJaw  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 6:16:51 AM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

I was just up there the weekend before last, a bit west of the Deerskin, in the NH-AL Forest...

I love catching trout after the stream-season closes -- the fishing pressure is gone (thank-you, hunting season!).

Usually, I keep it close and hit up Devils Lake (Sauk Co.) or Lake Wazee (Jackson Co.) in October and November.

This year, I took 4 days to explore the portage-in lakes near Sayner. Of course, catching trout from a canoe on ~25 acre lakes is a whole different ballgame...

It can get boring if they're not biting, but the solitude is almost better -- sitting quiet in a canoe (instead of bush-whacking), you constantly see loons, eagles, osprey, etc.

Got pushed of the water a couple times due to wind and cold -- thinking of making a summer trip to fish the area next year... AND another October trip

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
Skimmer  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 9:50:33 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

I spend a ridiculous amount of time on that stream. No place I'd rather be.