Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Dells area Options
Pete
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2015 2:27:01 PM

I will be in the Dells area next week for a few days after the Fourth of July. I will be tied up with family activities for much of my visit, but do plan on bringing a rod and getting in some fishing. Anyone from the area or with experience have advice to offer? I'm not picky about species-I'd rather have good fishing for bluegills (or crappies or walleyes or just about anything) than bad fishing for trout. I'm leaning towards fishing the Wisconsin River for smallmouths at the access South of the Dells, where the boat traffic can't get through. That plan my be changed if the water is too high or muddy to fish.

s.t. fanatic had a post about the Reedsburg area a week ago or so; DanE responded with information about area trout streams, one of which was Hulbert. I talked to a DNR biologist about it and he said that it is Class 1 brook trout water upstream with access via DNR property. But it is very skinny water and could be tough to fish because of streamside vegetation. Farther downstream, towards US 12, it becomes brown trout water. I may at least take a look at it around a brdge crossing or two, just to see if it would be worth a few casts. If anyone could offer advice about current conditions and tactics in the Dells area, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.
DanE
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2015 4:02:46 PM

The river is a good bet for decent multi-species action. I have not fished up there in about 15 years, but had decent action from shore accessing right at the lower dells boat tours parking lot and fishing it from there downstream. At that time it wasn't posted, not sure about now. Also not sure on the levels there, but due to consistent rain up north, the water level below the Prairie du Sac dam has been about 2 feet above normal for the last month or so, and I don't see that changing anytime soon with the recent rains up north. Can't give you a whole lot more information than that unfortunately.
Pete
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 2:19:35 PM

DanE wrote:
The river is a good bet for decent multi-species action. I have not fished up there in about 15 years, but had decent action from shore accessing right at the lower dells boat tours parking lot and fishing it from there downstream. At that time it wasn't posted, not sure about now. Also not sure on the levels there, but due to consistent rain up north, the water level below the Prairie du Sac dam has been about 2 feet above normal for the last month or so, and I don't see that changing anytime soon with the recent rains up north. Can't give you a whole lot more information than that unfortunately.

That's a big help. I'll take a look at the parking lot; once access is found, it's probably just a matter of reading water. I'll prepare myself for high water. Thanks for the advice.