Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 7:56:53 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Hello all, a brief report formPierce County. Reports are 5+ up to 9" of rain fell last night. Flooding is occurring.

Kinni 120 CFS to 2400
Eau Galle 25 CFS to 1630

Two inches plus, two Mondays ago pushed the Kinni to just 650 CFS so this is a major flood.

R
Sponsor
TreArrow  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 8:20:47 AM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Hope everyone over there is alright. Thats a hell of a lot of water in a short time.
West Branch  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 8:29:32 AM(UTC)
West Branch

It's distressing that radar images over the last month or so have shown the Driftless area is usually the place getting the lion's share of the rain. I didn't fish much in June due to high water on the streams closest to me. My regular beat is getting rain right now after getting hammed earlier today. Last week when I was out I was actually worried (for a moment) about wading a typically placid river because the water was so high.

Even though my home streams are running way high, they have been surprisingly clear. At this time of year I often see fish start to congregate in certain runs and pools. The high water seems to have disbursed the trout to areas they normally avoid during the heat of the summer. I have recently spooked fish out of seemingly random places that have become decent lies with the high water.

Let's hope the rains stop soon. I'm hoping to have a good 'hopper season again this year.
trapper  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 8:34:32 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 33 post(s)
As of monday am, Viroqua area streams are in excellent shape
seven inches reported in River Falls-ouch

Edited by user Monday, July 6, 2015 9:01:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Get Reel
Seabee  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 8:46:02 AM(UTC)
Seabee

Man

They should put restrictions on the upper kinni after losing last year class and after this flood this year class 2 years in a row of bad flooding in fact 2013 was a high water year many are saying they lost that year class too not good for this areas streams
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 1:23:26 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Too bad about the Kinni. That's a lot of water. Time to start building the ark...

I haven't fished in five weeks (good grief) but several streams I drove by over the weekend in Iowa and Richland counties looked pretty weedy and silty. Some of them probably could use a good flushing right about now.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 2:44:12 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Seabee wrote:
They should put restrictions on the upper kinni after losing last year class and after this flood this year class 2 years in a row of bad flooding in fact 2013 was a high water year many are saying they lost that year class too not good for this areas streams

The Kinni has no shortage of fish...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
EddieRivard  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 3:11:53 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
Seabee wrote:

The Kinni has no shortage of fish...

If anything an event such as this will help improve the overall size structure of the trout in the upper and lower Kinni. I applaud the efforts of mother nature in restoring the Kinni to her former glory. ThumpUp
Seabee  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 4:26:02 PM(UTC)
Seabee

Man

Agree on the flood in 2007 in SE mn it improved the fisheries but there was restrictions in place to protect after the flood. fish numbers are less in the kinni compared to few years back no disagreement on floods can help the stream
Mark Dahlquist  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 5:03:26 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I heard 7.33" in RF on the news just now. Think it was the soccer fields in the valley that looks like a lake now.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage