Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Lower West Fork Options
madguy30
#1 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 4:49:41 PM

Anyone have any advise on a spot to wade in on the lower stretches? I know there's a couple of bridges, but it usually looks pretty muddy so not sure what the wading situation is like.

The lower stretch looked like had some fun challenges for casting and wild growth--much more enjoyable for me.
William Schlafer
#2 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 5:12:19 PM

Pretty tough to wade on any part of the West Fork below the Hwy 82 bridge. Water is deeper and the stream bed is muddy/sandy. Stream bank vegetation can be impossible to get through. However, if you can get permission, there's some mowed paths and other access points on private property that has some nice looking water on it. I've heard stories of big Trout being taken there.

A canoe or kayak might work well on that part of the WF to float down stream to the best spots and avoid all the tall weeds and brush.

Watch out for the water temperatures as the summer heat moves in. Anything above 65 degrees and the fish will shut down. Above 70, can be lethal to caught Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
trapper
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2015 2:53:32 AM

Perhaps one should contact someone that lives on WF
Get Reel

EddieRivard
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2015 3:10:07 AM

trapper wrote:
Perhaps one should contact someone that lives on WF

That would be way too easy. One of the things I enjoy most about fly fishing for trout is the amazing challenge that it presents.