Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 1:25:48 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I did get in a little fishing during a trip to the Dells, all of it on the Wisconsin River (thanks Dan E). I checked out Hulburt Creek one afternoon, just walking, no fishing. This was in the lower stretches, near where it is crossed by I 90 and US 12. It's cold and clear at that point, but very narrow and shallow (what must the upper stretches look like?). I did not even spook a fish; maybe they were buried in the heaviest cover-some downed trees here and there-at that time of day during the bright light. I did find a small beaver pond, which can't be helping the situation much. It's certainly not a destination stream, but if you're desperate to cast for trout during a family vacation, do it early or late, in low light conditions.

the Wisconsin River turned out to be the better option. It had dropped and cleared to the point that safe wading was possible, with caution. There was a nice mixed bag: small pike and smallmouth, plus some kids on vacation tightlining worms on the bottom claimed to have caught sheepshead and a sturgeon. I went out one morning right after sunrise to fish on a beach area in the town of Lake Delton and saw a couple of turkeys wandering the sandy beach on the opposite shoreline; I never thought of them as shore birds and have never seen that before.
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 1:32:29 PM(UTC)
DanE

Pete wrote:
I did get in a little fishing during a trip to the Dells, all of it on the Wisconsin River (thanks Dan E). I checked out Hulburt Creek one afternoon, just walking, no fishing. This was in the lower stretches, near where it is crossed by I 90 and US 12. It's cold and clear at that point, but very narrow and shallow (what must the upper stretches look like?). I did not even spook a fish; maybe they were buried in the heaviest cover-some downed trees here and there-at that time of day during the bright light. I did find a small beaver pond, which can't be helping the situation much. It's certainly not a destination stream, but if you're desperate to cast for trout during a family vacation, do it early or late, in low light conditions.

the Wisconsin River turned out to be the better option. It had dropped and cleared to the point that safe wading was possible, with caution. There was a nice mixed bag: small pike and smallmouth, plus some kids on vacation tightlining worms on the bottom claimed to have caught sheepshead and a sturgeon. I went out one morning right after sunrise to fish on a beach area in the town of Lake Delton and saw a couple of turkeys wandering the sandy beach on the opposite shoreline; I never thought of them as shore birds and have never seen that before.

Funny you mentioned the turkey tracks. We have seen them multiple times on the river and even some stream banks. I never would have thought it either, but tough to argue when you see the tracks.