Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2015 2:47:09 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'm completely dumbfounded by these decisions by Scott Walker that will adversely affect hunting and fishing in Wisconsin.

Hopefully common sense will prevail in the end. Vote carefully.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MNFishhunter  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2015 10:16:56 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

I've seen a couple places in Iowa with new signs that are also no trespassing and put up by the railroad. Might this be a similar situation?
GreatPyrs  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 5:11:15 AM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Good question, talking with my wife I mentioned I have not crossed that many tracks in Wisconsin - but definitely Iowa mmmmm……..
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
ozzyky  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 7:02:31 PM(UTC)
ozzyky

Man

Yes it's a ticket in Wisconsin now unless you are at a designated crossing. Really f^cked me this winter for ice fishing . Some spots I had have to put the boat in then drive to public acess and come on from a different way. Really makes it miserable for salt on trailer/boat.

Walkers a jackass can't believe I voted for him. No presidential vote from me😡 he's really f'd the education deal too somewhere I seen some where there was a survey for worst jobs in America Wisconsin public school employees made the list!!
briz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 6:22:00 AM(UTC)
briz

Man

Confused Guess I'm still new to WI and its good and bad laws and regs, didn't know it was illegal. I have a hard time believing the police will go out of their way to enforce it. Crossed the tracks this morning walking the dog and waved to cop hanging out in the parking lot, he smiled and waved back.
Pete  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:03:20 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
briz wrote:
Confused Guess I'm still new to WI and its good and bad laws and regs, didn't know it was illegal. I have a hard time believing the police will go out of their way to enforce it. Crossed the tracks this morning walking the dog and waved to cop hanging out in the parking lot, he smiled and waved back.

I think you're right about that: the police are unlikely to go out of their way to ticket someone crossing the tracks for legitimate sporting reasons. If you're just crossing to get where you need to go, I'd hope we'll be alright. Of course, any exceptions to that will be expensive ones.

This is just anecdotal, but for what it's worth, I've had police explain to me that railroad police forces in this part of the country have been reduced to skeleton crews. Most of the manpower has been moved to the southeastern U.S. to deal with organized theft rings. So I'm hopeful that they have more important things to do than ticket those of us crossing tracks to get to water. I've found railroad tracks to be about the best upland game habitat left; most of the available land has been converted to corn fields with few or no buffer areas. I've bumped into a few engine drivers and work crews while hunting the railroad rights of way and all they've ever done is wave and maybe ask how the hunting is; no one has ever notified the RR cops.
s.t.fanatic  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:08:30 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

With the heavy subsidies that the railroad receives i view it as public land. Throw the ticket away and carry on! Im sure that in todays day and age it is just the railroad covering their butt from any lawsuits that could come if anyone was stupid enough to get hit by a train. Im sure easements could be procured.
ozzyky  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:45:07 AM(UTC)
ozzyky

Man

I know of 4 tickets givin out in pierce county last winter ice fishing related from crossing tracks at non designated crossings. I'm sure there are more I didn't hear about
Pete  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:50:56 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
ozzyky wrote:
I know of 4 tickets givin out in pierce county last winter ice fishing related from crossing tracks at non designated crossings. I'm sure there are more I didn't hear about

Wow, someone kept himself busy writing tickets. What do they cost? I doubt it's a slap on the wrist.
HookJaw  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:36:58 AM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Saw a bumper sticker that summed it up nicely:

MY STATE IS AWESOME
MY GOVERNOR IS A MORON
...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe