Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 6:53:36 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Anyone have any advice on a reasonably cheap pair of stocking foots? I'm a fan of the $100 LL Bean flyweights, but I'm about to warranty the pair I have (that's why I like 'em - no questions, no BS, just replacement), but they're back-ordered until September. Need something to hold me over until then, and hopefully something that won't spring a leak on day 1. I'm just terrible to my gear, which is why I buy cheap ones - I can spend $100 bucks and they'll last 3 months until buckthorn and barbed wire destroy them, or I can spend $400 and they'll last 3 months until buckthorn and barbed wire destroy them. Crying

Not totally opposed to boot-foots, but being flat-footed, I'd prefer to use the boots I have, since they don't kill my feet/knees, and it's always a crapshoot in that department.

Any advice?
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:52:14 PM(UTC)
trapper

Sorry man. I have had great luck with my LL BEAN fly weight waders.
Get Reel
shebs  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:02:13 PM(UTC)
shebs

trapper wrote:
Sorry man. I have had great luck with my LL BEAN fly weight waders.

Me too! They were solid for a good 6 months, which is pretty good considering I fish 2-3 times a week and do a lot of brutal bushwhacking. Had a run in with a barbed wire fence hidden in head high weeds last weekend, and aquaseal isn't gonna cut it for this repair job. It worked well enough the last ten times Razz
I guess I should be glad it didn't cut me lol but now I gotta go shopping ThumbDown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 5:59:44 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I got a $60 pair of Cabelas waders to hold me over while I send in my Simms. I like them a lot. After wearing them a few times, I doubt I'd spend the extra $400 on Simms ever again.
shebs  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 10:36:23 AM(UTC)
shebs

kschaefer3 wrote:
I got a $60 pair of Cabelas waders to hold me over while I send in my Simms. I like them a lot. After wearing them a few times, I doubt I'd spend the extra $400 on Simms ever again.

Are you referring to the basic 3mm neoprenes? Link
kschaefer3  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 2:32:12 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

No pretty sure they are here. Guess they're more than $60, but way cheaper than any Simms.
trapper  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 5:16:30 PM(UTC)
trapper

kschaefer3 wrote:

But you looked so "cool" in the $400 Simms

Go Avalanche Area Outdoor Sports on facebook for a pic of Kyle sportin his Simms waders
Get Reel
Seabee  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2015 7:30:33 AM(UTC)
Seabee

Man

In the market for new waders how come you would buy the 400 Simms again ?
hardenpw  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 9:27:18 AM(UTC)
hardenpw

Fell on a rock and ripped a hole in my waders two weekends ago. Anyone have a suggestion for how to patch it up. I will probably be getting some new waders at some point, but would like to use these in the meantime and as a backup pair eventually.
Trouts  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 10:07:05 AM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hardenpw wrote:
Fell on a rock and ripped a hole in my waders two weekends ago. Anyone have a suggestion for how to patch it up. I will probably be getting some new waders at some point, but would like to use these in the meantime and as a backup pair eventually.

They make wader repair kits, but I have always just used shoe goo when I get a hole in my waders. You get a lot more for your money compared to the wader repair kits or patches. You can then use the extra for wading boots when those start to go.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”