Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
taion  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:00:12 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

I am going to be fly fishing out of Viroqua. Never been down there before and I was wondering what streams are a must.
Thanks
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:18:51 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

taion wrote:
I am going to be fly fishing out of Viroqua. Never been down there before and I was wondering what streams are a must.
Thanks

A fine gentleman named Trapper lives very nearby. I bet if you ask nicely, he'll bring you somewhere great.
DanE  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:28:36 AM(UTC)
DanE

taion wrote:
Thanks

That really depends on what you are looking for and how you want to fish. Do you like small water or big water? Numbers or size? Hike in solitude or easy roadside access? Are you looking for brookies specifically? Is easement access important, or are you ok with keeping your feet wet? TurboMike and I messaged back and forth earlier in the year. I gave him a couple suggestions close to where he was staying. He really liked the looks of one stream that I was more lukewarm on, and didn't like a small stream that I have really enjoyed. In discussing afterwards, knowing some of his preferences up front would have helped with the recommendation.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:30:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DanE  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:02:44 AM(UTC)
DanE

You could put a map on the wall and throw a dart and fish the closest water, you really can't go wrong anywhere. Here are a couple links that I use frequently when I am going to try new water.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/...anning/DriftlessStreams/

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/...ers/openToPublicApp.html
taion  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 11:03:46 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

I really just want to avoid the crowd as best I can. So I am pretty sure Timber Coulee is out. Other than that I just like walking new water. Thanks
turbomike15  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:31:57 PM(UTC)
turbomike15

DanE wrote:
taion wrote:
Thanks

That really depends on what you are looking for and how you want to fish. Do you like small water or big water? Numbers or size? Hike in solitude or easy roadside access? Are you looking for brookies specifically? Is easement access important, or are you ok with keeping your feet wet? TurboMike and I messaged back and forth earlier in the year. I gave him a couple suggestions close to where he was staying. He really liked the looks of one stream that I was more lukewarm on, and didn't like a small stream that I have really enjoyed. In discussing afterwards, knowing some of his preferences up front would have helped with the recommendation.

Ah man! They're all good, I'm just biased on where i caught fish!!!
taion  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:10:27 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

Thanks for the Help. If you ever have questions about the Rush River feel free.
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:15:48 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
taion wrote:
I really just want to avoid the crowd as best I can. So I am pretty sure Timber Coulee is out. Other than that I just like walking new water. Thanks

Look upstream on the tribs where the water gets narrow. Most of the Timber Coulee weekend crowd passes right on by to fish the bigger water downstream - thinking that big water equals big fish. There are spots up there that get very little pressure, because they require a more of a hike to get there.

Good luck!
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
SlobHunter  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:47:42 PM(UTC)
SlobHunter

Man

William Schlafer wrote:
taion wrote:

Look upstream on the tribs where the water gets narrow. Most of the Timber Coulee weekend crowd passes right on by to fish the bigger water downstream - thinking that big water equals big fish. There are spots up there that get very little pressure, because they require a more of a hike to get there.

Good luck!
-Bill

Very true, If you seek out upper stretches, there is some great water, some without any trails blazed yet! ThumpUp